Films of 2011 to watch?

I've seen a fair few of the "major movies" of this year, and I'm wondering which others I should see.

I've seen

The Tree of Life
Moneyball
The Rum Diary
The Help
Take Shelter
50/50
Warrior
The Ides of March
Midnight in Paris
Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy

Soon I'm planning on watching Melancholia, and if possible, The Skin I Live In.

Anything people would recommend?

I'm just flicking through to see what I've given five stars to:

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
Harry Potter 7b

4 and 1/2 to:

Ides of March
We Need to Talk About Kevin
Crazy, Stupid, Love
Rise of the Planet of the Apes
Cave of Forgotten Dreams
Animal Kingdom

4 stars to:

Midnight in Paris
Kill List
The Referees
Jane Eyre
The Guard
The Tree of Life
Senna
Submarine
Never Let Me Go
50/50

I feel like there are (potentially) 5* films I've left off this list but I hope this helps as a rough(ish) guideline :)

Funnily enough I've forgotten to put Harry Potter and ...Kevin on the list of films I've seen, haha.
Thanks for the list, I'll try and get around to some when I'm off school for christmas :)

My personal Top-20 of the year, so far:

(Disclaimer: I do not believe in trying to objectively grade the "quality" of a film; these grades are strictly an assessment of how much I enjoyed watching it.)

Rise of the Planet of the Apes (A+)
X-Men: First Class (A)
Source Code (A)
Super 8 (A)
Bridesmaids (A-)
Puss in Boots (B+)
Thor (B+)
50/50 (B)
Insidious (B)
Rango (B)
Our Idiot Brother (B)
Battle: Los Angeles (B)
Super (B)
Take Shelter (B-)
Transformers 3 (B-)
Cedar Rapids (B-)
Troll Hunter (B-)
Win Win (B-)
Incendies (B-)
The Warrior (B-)

However, this list isn't complete, as there are many movies I missed, that I have heard good things about:

Hesher
Midnight in Paris
The Tree of Life
Crazy, Stupid, Love
The Hedgehog
Tucker & Dale vs. Evil
Melancholia
The Descendants
My Week With Marilyn

And, of course, the year's not over. I'm looking forward to Tintin, Mission: Impossible, War Horse, Dragon Tattoo, Extremely Loud/Incredibly Close, The Artist, and The Darkest Hour (I'm a sucker for sci-fi B-movies).

1. X-Men First Class - a rare movie that is better than I expected it to be.

2. I Am Number Four - The most under rated movie of the year.

3. Thor - Surprisingly lived up to the hype.

4. Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes - It's good, but could be better.

And, that's it.

Green Lantern was disappointing. As one guy on FB said it best, "Green Lantern is the victim of a bad script."

@CF: Your 'B' for Battle:LA makes me doubt your life judgement somewhat... ;)

And Green Lantern is the victim of being shit in every department.

Two of my favorites are "Hugo" (one of the two best 3D films, ever) and "The Artist." It doesn't hurt that they are both about film history.

I second "Cave of Forgotten Dreams" (the other best 3D film, ever).

I've heard "A Dangerous Method" is really good, but I missed it at the film fest so didn't see it for myself. Most of what I've seen this year has been more popcorn film than quality cinema, but I enjoyed the hell out of Immortals and Fright Night.

Looking at my list I see just how few new films I've seen this year (I've been watching a ton of older films, though, to the tune of 4-5 a day, while I work).

Movies I loved:
Battle: Los Angeles (probably the most intelligent action film I've ever seen, though it seems to have gone over the heads of a lot of people who were expecting a standard alien invasion flick)
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2
Fast Five
Super 8
Troll Hunter (AMAZING!)
Red State

Movies I liked:
Atlas Shrugged Part 1 (would have loved it if not for the horrible editing and useless stock footage)
Dear Lemon Lima

Movies I couldn't finish:
Season of the Witch
Gnomeo & Juliet

Can't believe no-one's mentioned Drive yet.

Not my favourite film of the year but, for my money, the most important film to have come out of this generation of filmmakers. I've seen it a couple of times now and it holds up really well, sort of like a Taxi Driver for the 21st Century.

Meh. "Drive" gets a "C+" on my grading system. I really liked the characters, I really liked the lead performances, but where there should be drama and tension, it's just not there for me. The last third of the movie felt almost robotic.

Back