Home Your Ad Here

Go Back   IndieTalk - Indie Film Forum > Classified Ads > Promotion

Old 12-14-2016, 11:11 AM   #1
justinsean
Basic Member

Windows Media Player Made a feature when I was 23; just released on Amazon. Thoughts?

Made this back in 2009, and it FINALLY just released on Amazon Prime--

I would love to know your thoughts! Really want to make another film soon..

Heaven Burns on Amazon Prime: http://a.co/iTLnypR

Thanks
justinsean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today   #1A
film guy
Basic Member

Old 12-14-2016, 12:11 PM   #2
itsastruggle
Basic Member

How did you get your film on amazon. a lot of the people here are filmmakers and would be interested in hearing about the experience of getting it there, when it started, how long it took, etc.
itsastruggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 12:53 PM   #3
justinsean
Basic Member

Amazon Direct Video allows submissions for material. Great questions-- maybe I can make a thread about the uploading experience!
Old 12-14-2016, 02:14 PM   #4
directorik
IndieTalk's Resident Guru

Tell us about your experiences right here. That way every time
anyone asks a question or reads your comments the link to your
movie will be right at the top.
directorik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 03:27 PM   #5
justinsean
Basic Member

So, a year out of college I decided to invest the little bit of college funds I had left over into making a movie. After all, that's what I wanted to do with my life.
I wrote the script fairly quickly, got a producer on board, and had my business partner at the time DP it. Honestly, the entire preproduction and production experience was a blur. I think we prepped the movie only two months before locking in the shooting dates. We shot six days a week, for 3 weeks. Most of the crew slept in my parents basement. The perks of being that young and making a film, I guess.
After shooting, we quickly banged out an edit to send to Sundance-- I believe we only had a few weeks to send a rough cut. Of course it fell short (I think mostly due to its rough state). Unsure of what to do next, we had it debut at the Action On Film Festival in Cali in 2010. A great festival, but a big mistake. Once it premiered there, the other top festivals wouldn't accept it, as they want to be a festival to debut a film. So without any distributors knocking on our door, what options were we left with. Well, not too many. I directly contacted at least 40 distribution companies, and always got the same response "we like your movie, but not sure how to market it".
Years passed, and I figured the movie would be shelved forever. That is, until I found out about Amazon Direct Video. It's a service that allows filmmakers to submit their own content, and if accepted, would be hosted on their platform for millions of Prime customers. Suddenly inspired, I revisited my film and cut out 10 minutes of dialogue, re colored, and cleared all the copyright materials.
Creating an Amazon Video Direct account was pretty simple. You set up a bank account, fill out information about your title (cast/ crew), upload artwork and submit. However, they do require it to be captioned. This was something that I had never done before, but figured out how to do myself with a free program called Aegisub.
Once everything was set, I hit the publish button. And waited. And waited more. After 3 or 4 days, I suddenly noticed my film was uploaded to Amazon Prime. Just like that, a film I thought would never be seen again had life. After a week or two it broke into the top500 dramas on Prime.

So that's the experience in a nutshell. Please check out the film if you can and give me feedback. I'm hoping to make another film again.
Old 12-14-2016, 05:29 PM   #6
El Director
Basic Member

Congratulations! Are you making much money off it?
El Director is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 04:47 AM   #7
rishi851
Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinsean View Post
So, a year out of college I decided to invest the little bit of college funds I had left over into making a movie. After all, that's what I wanted to do with my life.
I wrote the script fairly quickly, got a producer on board, and had my business partner at the time DP it. Honestly, the entire preproduction and production experience was a blur. I think we prepped the movie only two months before locking in the shooting dates. We shot six days a week, for 3 weeks. Most of the crew slept in my parents basement. The perks of being that young and making a film, I guess.
After shooting, we quickly banged out an edit to send to Sundance-- I believe we only had a few weeks to send a rough cut. Of course it fell short (I think mostly due to its rough state). Unsure of what to do next, we had it debut at the Action On Film Festival in Cali in 2010. A great festival, but a big mistake. Once it premiered there, the other top festivals wouldn't accept it, as they want to be a festival to debut a film. So without any distributors knocking on our door, what options were we left with. Well, not too many. I directly contacted at least 40 distribution companies, and always got the same response "we like your movie, but not sure how to market it".
Years passed, and I figured the movie would be shelved forever. That is, until I found out about Amazon Direct Video. It's a service that allows filmmakers to submit their own content, and if accepted, would be hosted on their platform for millions of Prime customers. Suddenly inspired, I revisited my film and cut out 10 minutes of dialogue, re colored, and cleared all the copyright materials.
Creating an Amazon Video Direct account was pretty simple. You set up a bank account, fill out information about your title (cast/ crew), upload artwork and submit. However, they do require it to be captioned. This was something that I had never done before, but figured out how to do myself with a free program called Aegisub.
Once everything was set, I hit the publish button. And waited. And waited more. After 3 or 4 days, I suddenly noticed my film was uploaded to Amazon Prime. Just like that, a film I thought would never be seen again had life. After a week or two it broke into the top500 dramas on Prime.

So that's the experience in a nutshell. Please check out the film if you can and give me feedback. I'm hoping to make another film again.
That's awesome dude. Could you tell me what was your budget and what camera you shot it with?
rishi851 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 03:33 PM   #8
justinsean
Basic Member

We shot the with first model of the RED. It was provided to us through a friend. As far as budget, it was under 50k.
Old 12-15-2016, 03:34 PM   #9
justinsean
Basic Member

Hard to tell at this time.. It has been streaming less than a month. Will make some money-- but probably won't see profit. Which is common for a first film.
Old 12-15-2016, 06:27 PM   #10
mpimentel
Basic Member

Really cool. It looks and sounds good, I just peeped the trailer, not the full movie, it all looks really cool specially for a first film. Congrats.
mpimentel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 06:11 PM   #11
trueindie
Basic - Premiere Expired

You got 25 reviews on Amazon, and quite a few from verified purchases. Did you do any kind of marketing after you published on amazon, or are these really organic?

Thanks. And best of luck with the film.
trueindie is offline   Reply With Quote