Rode VideoMic with Shogun XLR inputs question

I am new to film making and am trying to figure out the best way to connect the Rode VideoMic to the Atomos Shogun.

I have a single 3.5mm (rode) to XLR (shogun) adapter. I connected the 3.5mm cable into the red XLR input and I only get audio on the left speakers during playback on my computer. When plugged into the black input I get audio playback. only on the right speaker.

I have a 3.5mm to dual splitter to XLR adapter which I connected the 3.5mm cable into the red and black XLR input and I hear equal audio on both speakers during playback. Is this the best route to go? Should the audio on the left and right speaker be identical or should I perhaps be using a second microphone? If so where is the ideal location of the second microphone?

Also there is a bit of constant feedback in the dual splitter, what option in the Shogun or microphone should I look for to eliminate this?

Thank you in advance

Just a basic sound card with bose dual computer speakers. I am doing a bit of research and am thinking that a 2nd mic in a different location may be the way to go as when I listen to music the left speaker plays a different sound than the right. Just not sure where it would generally be placed in film making. Would it be uncommon to use 2 different model microphones or should they be generally kept the same?

If you're using on mic, it plugs into the right xlr channel on the sound card. that should give you a left and right stereo sound when you export it in an editing software in post. If it doesn't - by any chance, you can easily copy the right channel and paste the same wave file into the left one, in your editing software.

Okay…

First, you are plugging a high impedance (Hi-Z) mic into a low impedance (Low-Z) input, so you're dealing with an impedance mismatch.

Second; when you plug into one (1) of the XLR inputs you are recording to only one (1) channel. Dialog is mono, so one (1) track is all you need. Split the stereo track with one "active" audio channel and one "blank" audio channel into two (2) separate mono tracks.

To simplify/clarify and expand what Alcove said:

1. You are plugging a consumer mic into a professional (XLR) input. Your Shogun is expecting a pro mic level signal and you are feeding it a consumer level signal. It's a bit like running your car on fuel with a lower octane rating than it's designed for, it isn't going to run smoothly. The obvious solution is to feed your Shogun what it's expecting, a pro level signal (from a pro mic).

2. A microphone produces a (single) signal. Stereo however is two signals (channels) and a stereo system has two speakers, each of which requires a signal . If you record your microphone output on to channel 1, then when you play it back on a stereo system, channel 1 is the signal feeding your left speaker, there is no signal being fed to your right speaker (channel 2), so your dialogue appears only on the left. Record to channel 2 and it will appear only on the right. The solution is in your editing software, simply pan (position) you microphone channel to the centre position and it will output to both stereo channels equally, feed both your speakers equally and appear to come from the centre (between your two speakers). Using a splitter, as you are doing, to record the mic on to both channels simultaneously produces the same end result in theory but in practise is not recommended because splitting the mic signal introduces additional interference. Using two different mics and recording one on each channel is even worse. Without going into technical detail, you will likely run into some fairly serious problems, professional TV/Film never does this, drop that idea and just use the tool specifically designed for the job (the pan control in your editing software)!

G

Back