A humble request from the mods/suggested improvement!

As production manager for my next short film contest project, I have been searching for suitable production management software.

Trained a long time ago as a researcher, I have searched both on my own hard disk from relevant material previously gathered, as well as here in the forums of IT. From these, I put together my own xls sheet of production management software.

In undertaking research on IT archives, I noticed a number of things.

i) generally, software is a concern--it occupies 20 pages of threads!!

ii) search by category eg. production management software, production scheduling software indicates that relevant threads are divided among an assortment of forums.

iii) search by product name provides more targeted searching: celtx-42 threads; gorilla-20 threads; sunfrog-1 thread; scenechronize-1 thread.

As a result, given the obvious interest and concern, I would like to suggest that a separate forum devoted to software be established. The software could be classified under such labels as
pre-production | production | post-production.

As an example, under pre-production, you could place such sub-categories as screenwriting, production management/scheduling.

In this way, discussion which is now spread throughout the site could be moved enabling this activity to become focused, as would the search process, which would then become easier for all interested parties.

I suspect that in doing this, the technical aspects of site management would also become easier, and perhaps even save the site owners some pennies in the process.

Thanks.

ETA: now realise that this perhaps should have been posted in the Suggestions & Support sub-forum of the Announcements forum.

Last edited:
Motion seconded. :)

Software is basically equipment these days. A software section could also be a good place for people to post questions or links to how-to vids for various software tools that we use. A sub-section of tech, or even it's own thing like above.

I'll look into it. Been meaning to make the forum categories more cohesive. Thanks

Kudos re. changes

The recently introduced changes are very welcome! The user experience re. initial search is much better!!
And the re-categorisation/re-grouping goes a long way toward this.

However, my testing of the new Computers and Software forum has indicated a few surprises:

i) a phrase search appears to be missing eg. previously, a search for "film production software" or "film scheduling software" would turn up the thread/post with the exact phrase within it. Now, an attempted phrase search (closed quotes) returns "film OR production OR software". This example retrieved 500 posts.
The previous function of phrase search is sorely needed.

ii) search by product name indicates that many such posts/threads are apparently not being retrieved. Or have many such threads either been archived or removed?

iii) product category search also seems to be less precise than before.

Otherwise, the changes have been A-1!!

Thanks

The built-in search function is not the best, there was never a phrase search, you are wrong there.

Back