Vegas 5 question...

Im new, obviously. I have a question. I go to play back my clips on Vegas, and a box comes up. It reads as follows:

"An Error occurred while starting Playback. The device specified is in use."

Then there's an OK button and Details button. The OK botton does nothing, and the Details button says as follows:

"The playback device Microsoft Sound Mapper does not exist."

Now, what do I do? I have Direct X 9 or 8, one of them. I also think I have Windows Media Player 10. The clips work outside of Vegas so I am confused... Any help would be appreciated.

I have new news. Im screwed. This involves Windows Media Player 10. It extracts and all and then this box coems up saying that a setup is already running and it can not run another one. However, there isn't another oen being set up.

Oh, I never downloaded Vegas from there. I got the free trial, and then a bud gave me the code, so now I have it forever. I simply download my clips from there, and it seems to work for everybody else.

Ok we're getting off the track here. First, fire up Vegas and find out which clip it is that is giving you problems.

2) do a Ctrl-Alt-Del to see if there is any other setup program running. Try rebooting and trying again. Try going into safe mode and trying again.

If none of that works check the system for spyware and viruses. You may have something running in the bg that is screwing your whole system.

Well some good news. I checked for spyware and had a bunch. I deleted it. Then i tried downloading Windows Media Player again, and it's installing so after it's done and I have these Codecs I'll try Vegas and see what it does. In the meantime can somebody tell me what a Microsoft Sound Mapper is?

OK this is the last time I will ask you to do this.

Take 1 clip, note what file extention it is, and load it into a new project, see if it plays.

Find out if it is just one type of codec clip that wont play or if it is all of them.

Microsoft Sound Mapper controls the sound from the software to the hardware.

OK now that explains a lot. It says that the problem is not necessarily having to do with WMP or any of the codecs themselves, but instead probably a hardware issue with your drivers or a Vegas problem.

OK FYI Microsoft Sound Mapper is a built in feature of windows. I dont believe it ever needs to be replaced, only that there are occasionally problems with it.

Try going in Vegas to OPTIONS > Preferences > Audio Device Type and changing the Audi Device Type to "Windows Classic Wave driver" and click OK see if that changes it.

lol. Now theres a new problem. A box comes up and reads:

"An Error Occurred while starting playback. An Unsupported media type was requested.

I click on details...

"The playback device Modem #0 Line Playback does not support the current output format.
The playback device Modem #0 Line Playback does not exist."

Sounds like there is a hardware problem.. when was the last time you defragged your drive?
Have you checked your system settings to see if there are any conflicts?

Have you installed any new hardware or software in the machine?

Let us know.

I also have the same problem with sony vegas 6, the message 'The playback device Microsoft Sound Mapper does not exist' only occurs when i move the the time ruler!! Is there another audio recording device besides the Microsoft Sound Mapper which i could download to hopefully fix this problem???

Any info regarding this problem would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Back