What are the issues with using real weapons on set?

I will assume all responses come with the "I'm not responsible for your idiocy or accidents, and I don't advocate weapons on set" disclaimer. I would certainly rather use action replica guns, but those replicas are not that cheap (and the ones that are cheap, look cheap).

I realize that things like knives you have to be ultra-careful with, especially if the talent starts getting excited. I've always considered knives much more dangerous to video than guns, since guns can be turned into a simple chunk of metal (basically a rock), while knives always remain dangerous in range of other talent. I have used a real knife on set and we were extremely careful, making sure any stabbing action done was out of frame while the actor had an empty hand.

I'm asking how many people have used real weapons (unloaded and made as safe as possible) on set, and anything inobvious I might need to worry about, besides obvious issues like some idiot bringing ammo.

What about things like removing the firing pin, or somehow occluding the chamber (like a ball of gaffer tape)? Or is it just a horrible idea at pretty much all times?

(Some background: firearms are completely legal where I live with no issues, and I'm well-trained in use, breakdown, and maintenance. I'm worried about safety, as I have a HUGE aversion to allowing anyone to point even an unloaded firearm at someone else without serious protection in place.)

In the vast majority of cases using a knife on set, say an ordinary food knife being used normally as part of a dinner scene, would not require any special measures beyond normal common sense. In a scene where a knife is being used as a weapon rather than as a standard eating tool then of course I would expect to see special safety measures being taken and I presume a film insurance company would too. For all of these reasons I would therefore expect both knife and gun accidents on set to be very rare and roughly the same or slightly more knife accidents.
Looks like APE was distinguishing between the two uses, and noting he considered knives dangerous when used as weapons, but not so much when used as a non-weapon.

sfoster assumed all discussion was about using one as a weapon, re: subject line.

There's little cultural difference regarding the danger of knives, just a simple obtuse comment that's easily solved by rereading. As I mentioned earlier, I consider knives to be more dangerous because they're more difficult to render safe. Many people get hurt in fake fistfights when actors get excited or make a mistake, but if it were with a knife, it could result in serious injury.

Same with a gun. But that seems to be where there are cultural differences. It looks to me that many folks consider guns far more dangerous, and I was trying to get some data on that.

Back