Fiscal Sponsorship?

I know a little, but very little....

...fiscal sponsorship basically means that you are considered a non-profit organization, because you are under the 'umbrella' of an established non-profit organization. It also means you are not an 'individual' when you apply to grant providers. The fact that you are not an 'individual' gives you more opportunities to apply to more grants as many organizations do not give to individuals (the national endowment for the arts occasionally will, but they want fiscal sponsorship, as does MacArthur Foundation and MANY others). This also means that whoever gives you funding, gets a tax write off for a charitable donation. This is how I understand it, I'm sure I need to learn more....

If given sponsorship, the organization assumes certain risks to cover you, but you retain creative control of the project.

....this is all I know right now, I am trying to find out more, as I am trying to get sponsorship myself. I hope this helps a bit, good luck

--spinner

by the way, it takes a long time, and alot of tax forms to form your own non-profit organization. If you are just a filmmaker, like I am, I don't know if that is the route you want to take. I know its not for me....

--spinner

Back