Favorite Films Sub-Forum

Maybe it will work, but maybe it won't...

My idea is for a sub-forum where members could list their favorite films by genre. I know that many films could fall into more than one genre, but that's part of the fun. You wouldn't have to list what you consider the best of that genre, but your personal favorites. And, yes, you could include made-for-TV and, most especially, indie films. It's a way for us to get to know each other a little better, and also give filmmaking newbs a "must see" list of films that, again, are not considered the best of their type, but ones that folks here on IndieTalk consider personal favorites. It tells us a bit about each other as people and as filmmakers. You would not have to explain why they are your favorite, although you are invited to do so.

The forum could be called "Fave Five Films" or "Super Six" or whatever - admin could pick a number and the title.

As an example, my Fave Five War Films would be, in no particular order:

Saving Private Ryan
Twelve O'Clock High
Glory
The Lost Battalion
Patton

My Fave Five Animated Films would be:

The Incredibles
Spirited Away
Finding Nemo
Beauty and the Beast
Ratatouille

There are, of course, numerous categories that could be listed - Based on Novels, Romantic Comedies, Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Political, Thrillers, Buddy/Cop, Quirky, Historical Drama, Music/Musicians, Chick Flicks, Feel Good and dozens more. They could even be more specific as to sub-genres, although a specific sub-forum would not be necessary; Vampires, Gangs, WWII, and even by prolific directors, actors, cinematographers, sound designers or screenwriters; or even by era - favorites of the 30's, 40's, etc.

It would also be my suggestion that IMDB pages be included, if possible, so folks could look them up and be sure they are renting/streaming/whatever the correct film.

I would also suggest that discussions about individual films take place on another sub-forum by movie title so as not to clutter the Favorite Films forum. It has been suggested previously that there be discussion about specific films as a sort of film school; what was great about them, and what didn't work, with regards to script, cinematography, direction, casting, sound, acting, etc. This film specific forum may be what gets those discussions going.

So, anyway, that's my idea.

Comments?

I'm game!

I'm also shocked that Wall-E did not make it onto your otherwise fantastic Five-Fave-Animated. Oh I do declare, my feathers are ruffled!

Oh, man, that would be tough. My favorite films, even by genre, differ by day to day.

That said, Spirited Away is amazing, and one of Miyazaki's finest.

Oh, man, that would be tough. My favorite films, even by genre, differ by day to day.

That said, Spirited Away is amazing, and one of Miyazaki's finest.

I like the idea but i agree it would be tough.

And SA is indeed one of the finest, not just Miyazaki's. :)

I'm also shocked that Wall-E did not make it onto your otherwise fantastic Five-Fave-Animated. Oh I do declare, my feathers are ruffled!

Ah! But that's part of the fun! If it's only five (or six or seven) you have to narrow it down. I love Wall-E, but the other ones have more personal meaning to me. And that's a part of the point, it's not the BEST of a genre, but PERSONAL favorites.

Last edited:
Ah! But that's part of the fun! If it's only five (or six or seven) you have to narrow it down. I love Wall-E, but the other ones have more personal meaning to me. And that's apart of the point, it's not the BEST of a genre, but PERSONAL favorites.

I know. Was just having fun. :) Your list is a good one.

Last edited:
Spirited away was great and I dont like cartoon animation. Have no problem with computer animation and love puppet animation, except muppets, but cartoons leaves me cold for some reason. maybe I overdosed on scooby doo and Tom and Jerry etc when I was a nipper.

Master and commander would be in my favourite war film list, as well as Saving Private Ryan, The Last valley, Platoon. As Joshl has also said, my favs can change depending on my mood though.

Fav sci fi, well Blade runner comes top of the list,
Day the earth stood still(original)
Inception
Moon
Forbidden planet

Best Foreign films:
pan's labyrinth
Let the right one in
Pathfinder - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093668/
Downfall
La Vita รจ bella

Last edited:
Sci-fi:

ALIEN
TERMINATOR 2
THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL (1951)
STAR TREK (remake)
BACK TO THE FUTURE

Horror:

NEAR DARK
EVIL DEAD 2
CREEPSHOW
DAWN OF THE DEAD (1979)
DEAD ALIVE

Superhero:

ROBOCOP
BATMAN BEGINS
SPIDERMAN 2
CHRONICLE
ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK

Drama:

SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION
THE DEVIL'S ADVOCATE
GOOD WILL HUNTING
THE ELEPHANT MAN
TITANIC

Action:

RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK
THE BOURNE IDENTITY
DIE HARD
HEAT
THE FUGITIVE

Comedy:

GROUNDHOG DAY
AIRPLANE
THERE'S SOMETHING ABOUT MARY
AUSTING POWERS 2
MY COUSIN VINNY

War:

SAVING PRIVATE RYAN
WE WERE SOLDIERS
BLACK HAWK DOWN
PLATOON
THE HUNT FOR RED OCTOBER (cold war)

Western:

DANCES WITH WOLVES
THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY
UNFORGIVEN
A FIST FULL OF DOLLARS
SHANE

Foreign:

LA FEMME NIKITA
DAS BOOT
RUN LOLA RUN
LET THE RIGHT ONE IN
MY LIFE AS A DOG

Animated:

SHREK
THE INCREDIBLES
THE IRON GIANT
FINDING NEMO
TOY STORY

Last edited:
Fave Five Small Theatrical Release Films
Henry Poole is Here - Widest Release: 527 theaters
Be Kind Rewind - Widest Release: 810 theaters
You Kill Me - Widest Release: 252 theaters
Get Low - Widest Release: 570 theaters
The Guard - Widest Release: 203 theaters

Fave Five Films I've Watched Over and Over and Over
Where Eagles Dare - well over 20 times; it's just a simple WWII setting action thriller, not even the best. IDK.
The Incredibles - at least ten times; I like how all the classic family member issues are effectively interwoven.
Kung Fu Panda - over a dozen times; the amount of information the story conveys astounds me.
Heat - over a dozen times; I enjoy the death spiral plummet to the ground between the antag & protag.
A Knight's Tale - at least ten times; it's fun & funny as it drags the audience through multiple adventures.

Last edited:
The first five films that came to mind just now:
2001, A Space Odyssey
Blue Velvet
United 93
Dr. Strangelove
Kiss Kiss bang Bang

Supergreat films among the films posted by IndieTalk member thus far:
Das Boot
The Iron Giant
.... (need some more films to choose from people!)

Last edited:
Like Guerrilla Angel, from the top of my head:
Memento
Donnie Darko
No Country for Old Men
Fight Club
Forrest Gump

Also, not sure if this would have a place in this thread, but thought 'Most Anticipated Films of the Year' or something like that could be a bit of fun too, just a suggestion :)

Back