Grad School?

Hey Guys,

I was just curious if anyone had any intentions of going to grad school or have already attended one or is currently enrolled. I'm looking into Rockport College in Maine but won't stop the search there. I'm looking to get an indie or experimental perspective rather than a hollywood one. But I'm open to any suggestions, ideas, etc. Also, those who are enrolled or attended, what were your reasons for going and what has your experience been like? Anything is greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

-pappy

Well I attended NYU film school and didn't like it. Film school isn't what some people think. It not a place were you share ideas with other film students its a place were its every man or women for himself/herself its very I mean very competive. Most grad programs teach the theory of filmmaking not the art of filmmaking . Most what I use I learned as an undergrad film student. If you really want to attend grad school find out if its theory or the art of filmmaking that you want to learn.

Yeah, its the same deal here. The UA grad program is nearly 100% theory, that's why I took the undergrad route (I already have another degree in broadcasting). Hell, even in the undergrad dept., I'm up to my neck in theory, and aside from some of the more practical ideas (30 degree rule, 180 degree rule... You know, entry basics) I find a great deal to be bunk.

Last edited:
That's why I was considering attending Rockport. They seem to be all about the art of film making. Also, my focus would be screenwriting. I'm still assuming that no matter what the subject may be, it would still be universally competitive. Thanks.

-pappy

Back