Does the C100 eos have alot more definition than the 7d?

i've done some filming with both from some angles the actors seem to look older with the c100 like its picking up too much for me.

Is this correct?

Yes, the C100 resolves significantly more detail than the 7D. If you plan on intercutting them the difference may be less noticeable if you shoot wider on the C100 and tighter on the 7D. Careful treatment of the footage in post is also key to ensuring a decent match.

Hi David,

The C100 is 4K downscaled to 1080p in-camera, so it is especially sharp.

You can always reduce the C100's sharpness in post (in Sony Vegas, for example, all you have to do is enter a negative number in Unsharp Mask).

Sadly, just about every real 1080p camera has more resolution than the native h.264 output from a Canon DSLR.

Hope this is helpful!

Bill

7D: approx 700-800 horizontal lines (stretched to 1080 lines).

This has always amazed me. Canon clearly advertised this camera as "1920 x 1080 (full HD)" on its product specifications page, and for years has delivered significantly less.

Good for them for getting away with it for so long, and shame on users for not insisting they get what they were promised - but aren't there laws against this sort of thing? If this was a car, there would have been a recall.

Hi David,

The C100 is 4K downscaled to 1080p in-camera, so it is especially sharp.

You can always reduce the C100's sharpness in post (in Sony Vegas, for example, all you have to do is enter a negative number in Unsharp Mask).

Sadly, just about every real 1080p camera has more resolution than the native h.264 output from a Canon DSLR.

Hope this is helpful!

Bill
Thanks bill. So you can change the resolution in post? Ok great

This has always amazed me. Canon clearly advertised this camera as "1920 x 1080 (full HD)" on its product specifications page, and for years has delivered significantly less.

Good for them for getting away with it for so long, and shame on users for not insisting they get what they were promised - but aren't there laws against this sort of thing? If this was a car, there would have been a recall.

It does deliver exactly 1920x1080 pixels in it's video files, just like it promises, and just like every other full-HD camera.

Back