I hate..

Actors who try to tell me how to run production
Musicians
People with expensive cameras and don't know how to use them
Make up artists, they never bloody turn up!

Then you need to work with different people. All creative types are quirky, but there's a big difference between quirky and meddlesome.

Definitely don't quit! And never take anything other filmmakers tell you seriously enough to take it to heart.

But understand that you're working in a world where you have to throw out your assumptions of how promises work.
1. You have to take into consideration that no promise may be kept... so you have to have a backup for everything.
2. If your actors, or your crew, are telling you how to run your set, it's probably because you're not running it. I don't mean this in a bad way. Most of us filmmakers are not alpha characters. We are artsy type of folks and we live and let live. But when it comes to your set, you have to change things. You also have to do your homework (I'm not saying you didn't). But you have to know how you want things so well, that when someone says "maybe we should do this instead," you say "no, we shouldn't. We should do it the way I said because of x and y reasons." And then shut that conversation off. There shouldn't be any conversation about how things should be done, with you. People will still talk and gossip and murmur about how you're a crap director and you don't know what you're doing, but that happens in every workplace. You can't fight that. And you shouldn't waste your time with it. But the action in your immediate vicinity should be totally controlled by you. Don't allow any other ideas other than yours to dominate. Your ideas may be bad, but do them anyway, and you're going to learn.

And while many people will disagree with me here, and mention how filmmaking is a "collaborative" artform and whatnot, you shouldn't believe their nice talk. It sounds nice. It sounds collegial. Directing is not collaborative. You collaborate with each individual section of your team. They don't all collaborate. YOU collaborate. They collaborate with YOU. That's about all the collaboration necessary.

Of course your make-up artist didn't show. Did you promise to pay him/her? S/he has no obligation, so s/he didn't show. If you absolutely must have make-up, then to ensure that you must pay. Otherwise plan your film in a way so that make-up is not necessary. If you absolutely cannot live without something during your shoot, pay for it. For other things, make do.

Last edited:
No need to swoop in and mommy him by explaining the obvious.

He should quit. "I hate.." that's the title of this very important thread.

Go do something else- life is short.

Last edited:
Sasa took it to heart.. oh dear, It was a little joke at Directors Rant, why would I quit when im on the verge of being something great...

people can have a moan if they want, Sasa has taken a shining to me, I'm feeling quite lucky ;)

Of course your make-up artist didn't show. Did you promise to pay him/her? S/he has no obligation, so s/he didn't show. If you absolutely must have make-up, then to ensure that you must pay. Otherwise plan your film in a way so that make-up is not necessary. If you absolutely cannot live without something during your shoot, pay for it. For other things, make do.

they were offered more money than the entire film cost me.. they still done me over :lol:

His post was an expression of the physical discomfort that he was experiencing due to an acute form of pathology known as "filmmaker frustrations." You'll be attacked by it at one time or another... probably soon. It happens.

why would I quit when im on the verge of being something great...
Looks like you're overcoming this disease quite well... :D

they were offered more money than the entire film cost me.. they still done me over :lol:

1. What do you mean by they? You were hiring more than one make up artist? who already knew each other? (there is a problem right there, that I cannot fully explain right now. Maybe I'll write about it another time)
2. Did you interview these people in person before your shoot?

If you answer "yes" to number 2, then I don't have an answer. It must be some strange case particular to the British Isles.

If the answer is No, then interview them next time. If they show up for an unpaid inteview, that's a guarantee that they're not faking it, and will show up on payday.

Directing is a special form of human mind game :). Not only do you have to know about normal human beings, you now have to learn about a special sort of human being, who is strapped for cash, but will pay to be in your seminar, and won't show up to your free seminar. It's called ... I don't know what it's called, but some psychology student should do a pHD thesis on it.

Cheers. Better luck next time :)

His post was an expression of the physical discomfort that he was experiencing due to an acute form of pathology known as "filmmaker frustrations." You'll be attacked by it at one time or another... probably soon. It happens.

Looks like you're overcoming this disease quite well... :D

1. What do you mean by they? You were hiring more than one make up artist? who already knew each other? (there is a problem right there, that I cannot fully explain right now. Maybe I'll write about it another time)
2. Did you interview these people in person before your shoot?

If you answer "yes" to number 2, then I don't have an answer. It must be some strange case particular to the British Isles.

If the answer is No, then interview them next time. If they show up for an unpaid inteview, that's a guarantee that they're not faking it, and will show up on payday.

Directing is a special form of human mind game :). Not only do you have to know about normal human beings, you now have to learn about a special sort of human being, who is strapped for cash, but will pay to be in your seminar, and won't show up to your free seminar. It's called ... I don't know what it's called, but some psychology student should do a pHD thesis on it.

Cheers. Better luck next time :)

just one make up artist, no interview beforehand.. I had realised via Gorillaonabike that interviews are essential for any position as the person is more than likely to turn up to the set if attending interviews.

another thing I hate, editing... :)

Filmmaking is a "team sport." Very rarely can you make an effective product without involving others. So you need to select those people with care. You must get them involved in the process. This is what preproduction is all about.

The long-term members here on IT can tune out now, they've heard this already....

I work with a producer on a semi-regular basis. When the project begins she and the director go through the script most carefully and work on the shooting script and the budget. Then they call in their "keys" - DoP, SD/SSE, H/MU, etc. We have at least two preproduction meetings (where the producer sets out a nice spread) to run through the script and the budget. It's a very creative evening, and we have a lot of fun. Then there are at least two more preproduction meetings with the entire cast and crew (both prod and post). And it's amazing how often someone at one of those meetings says something that makes a significant improvement to the project. Everyone has a script and a schedule, the shoots are almost always extremely smooth and "loose," there is a generous craft table & meals, and there is a great wrap party. Post is also quite smooth, as there are very detailed audio and video logs - and we're all on the same page since we've all been involved from the very beginning. When post is complete there is viewing party.

The whole point is that everyone feels involved in the creative aspects of the project, and they are treated like professionals. This kind of treatment creates an atmosphere of inclusiveness and a sense of "mission" that makes people want to be involved. When you take care of your people and include them in the process they work harder and happier, which, in turn, improves the quality of your project.

Film Autre was on a shoot yesterday and today with a paying client. It is a client who he was passed to by another happy, also paying customer whose music vid hit television screens (Film Autre's music videos have hit television screens in a couple of different countries).

The first short he held a camera on (one of mine) ended up at one of the UK's top festivals. The last short he DoP'd is playing in one of the world's top ten genre film festivals. The last one he directed will likely be playing in that same 'world class' genre festival next year. Anyone seeing his most recent stuff will say it is on the money and his most recent stuff has been received well enough by professionals (am trying to get distribution for a couple of things and Film Autre's camerawork more than holds up).

He's earned his right to complain. What distributors / networks / film festivals and paying customers are happy with you?

Last edited:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kobx8cZFn00

:P

LOL, Sasa seems to give the OP an reaction he tends to give others as well :P
Am I the only one seeing the irony?

Anyway: people not showing up without interview is not my experience, but maybe Dutch business culture might be a like different. People do at least show up on my set :)

Back