Starting out- Equipment

Hello, I'm just starting out...kinda, I've made shorts on crappy camcorders since I was a kid, but I'm buying my first DSLR (Canon 600D) to start shooting properly. I got the camera cheaper than I expected so I have some cash spare. I'm planning on using it to buy equipment, I do have a low budget, but I was wondering what I should prioritise, ideas I have seen are an External Mic, which would be my biggest priority, but after that...
Neutral Density Lens Filter and Polarizer Filter? Pistol Grip? Shoulder Rig? Audio Recorder?

Advice would be very much appreciated!
Thanks, Laura

(I already have a good tripod and a protective bag)

sfoster, we'll have to agree to disagree -- I definitely don't think an ND filter is mandatory for shooting outside. You can just shoot for deep focus, nothing wrong with that.

Laura, welcome to the Thunderdome! We can help you make your purchasing decisions a lot better if we know the initial purchasing budget you're working with. :)

Tripod.

Do a lot of shooting before you buy a bunch of stuff beyond basic sound equipment and a tripod. You can make do with cheap lighting equipment until you're absolutely sure you need you want to blow cash on it.

Everything else can wait so don't fall to the illusion that you need to overload yourself with gear to be a filmmaker.

Good luck.

sfoster, we'll have to agree to disagree -- I definitely don't think an ND filter is mandatory for shooting outside. You can just shoot for deep focus, nothing wrong with that.

Laura, welcome to the Thunderdome! We can help you make your purchasing decisions a lot better if we know the initial purchasing budget you're working with. :)

an ND filter would also be necessary to maintain a 180ยบ shutter angle in bright daylight

Back