You really want it?

Let’s talk about making a hit-movie for no money. It happens, so it is possible.

I’m politically pursued, so I can’t be making movies. It would be noticed and I’d be locked up. It is my reality and am trying to get around it but can't. What I have been doing is teaching myself how to write scripts. And I tell you, that is the part that takes a long time to learn, because you need life experience. But here’s the point: besides from the writing, you can learn everything fairly quickly. So, if I would be dreaming about a career as a director I would look up a writer who can write a killer script that is shot pretty much entirely in one apartment. Something very simple, but powerful that works with very few characters. Especially when the story is simple the director will be declared as a genius, especially as it was all shot without a budget and it works. Think Reservoir Dogs, for instance.

Other reasons: Producing doesn’t break anyone’s neck if it’s all shot in one apartment, no energy lost on crowd-funding, no shooting permits needed, the apartment is like a studio etc, so you invest all you have on shooting and getting everything out from your actors. With this kind of focus, you’d make a whole team of amateurs look like professionals. Right or wrong?

Let me tell you, I’m pissed as hell for not being allowed to live a normal life, so as a revenge and a fuck you to the politics I’ve been thinking about a program to help unknown movie makers come out with a bang. Therefore I’m asking for your opinion about what I say above. Would this sound like something that could work for you?

Last edited:
The money obsession is there again.

This is a program for them who want to work hard to learn. I think you might be able to learn even ten times faster when you do it with a professionally written script (not a joke), so I'm offering this opportunity.

As I said early in the thread "the hard workers will instantly work even harder to get themselves ready. Some will freak out, because they have a too long way to go to see themselves succeed very soon."

I think you ItDonned are freaking out a little bit. I describe my professional situation in the beginning of the thread.

Stay calm, read what I say and don't hate. Everything will be fine. This is a good thing for everybody here.

Trust me, not freaking out. And I am reading what you said.

In the beginning of the thread you said you were teaching yourself to write. Later, you say you are offering people an opportunity to learn by working with a professionally written script.

If, as you said earlier, you are not in fact a professional screenwriter, but just someone who is teaching themselves to write, then I'm curious about where this professionally written script is coming from.

If you’re thinking about participating. The producing point of view probably is the most interesting aspect of this whole thing.

No-budget producing is about getting people to work for free and still get them to fully commit. As you have no money you have to give them something else. A part in a feature film can be the best opportunity someone ever gets. If the movie focuses on showcasing their special skills and strengths the production becomes very interesting for them. That’s why, we put that into the script. That tops the motivation.

Another thing about breaking in.

Studio professionals know how hard it is to pull off a good movie shot on a very limited budget, so if you’ve done it they’ll take you very seriously after that. The more simple the setting, the more attention the skill on set gets, so there’s no reason to be afraid of shooting a very simple movie.

If your situation is that you want a career, but you don’t have any job opportunities, the best way forward is to shoot a simple feature and use that as your calling card. Also the best way to develop is to use a simple but solid script. The script better be well written, as that also gives you an advantage not many think of: It provides the director with a lot of well working dramatic solutions. These speed up the learning process and if you’re say half way there, you might even learn ten times faster this way.

Back