• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Is written sound ok?

In normal creative writing i.e. writing a story/novel onomatopoeia/written sound is great. But is it applicable to screenplay writing? I mean what sounds better?:

Ext. Street – day

Kevin looks into the dipping mirror. He sees three cars with blue flashing lights are behind them. Shit! The cops.

or this one:

Ext. street – day

Kevin discerns a deep Woop woop. He looks into the dipping mirror. He recognizes sparsely three cars with blue flashing lights are behind them. Shit! The cops.

Kevin discerns a deep Woop woop.

Not a screenwriter myself, but this is giving specific sound directions in the screenplay. A "deep whoop whoop" does not necessarily mean a couple of short bursts from a police siren; there is a bird in my neighborhood that goes "whoop whoop". And why use "discern"? Also, you don't need "Shit! The cops;" it sounds like narration. If you're writing for yourself I guess that it's okay, but for spec you need to keep it fairly generic. And what the hell is a "dipping mirror?"

So, if I were writing it would be.

Ext. street – day

KEVIN, driving in his car, hears a few short bursts from a police siren. Looking in the rearview mirror Kevin panics seeing three police cars with their lights on.

Just my two ducats.

If a car speeds by, there's really no need to write vroom. However when it comes to onomatopoeia that are common words as well, like buzz, and sizzle, it works. Whoop, I would not use for a siren. It's a bit cheesy. But awaking to the buzzing of the alarm tells us what the alarm sounds like and is a common word as well as onomatopoeia, so it works. Same as being awakened by the sizzling of bacon.

Woop-woop! That's the sound of da police! That's the sound of the beast!
Stand clear! Don man a-talk
You can't stand where I stand, you can't walk where I walk
Watch out! We run New York
Police man come, we bust him out the park
I know this for a fact, you don't like how I act
You claim I'm sellin' crack
But you be doin' that
I'd rather say "see ya"
Cause I would never be ya
Be a officer? You wicked overseer!
Ya hotshot, want to get props and be a savior
First show a little respect, change your behavior