Greetings From Iowa

Hello all!

I'm currently undergoing my undergrad studies in Cinema at The University of Iowa (class standing: Junior - non-traditional )

I've taken classes where I've been exposed to various formats and equipment (Canon MiniDV, HVX, HPX, Final Cut Pro, Avid Media Composer, H2, H4n, Lowell kits, Total Lights, etc. etc.)

I've taken theory courses; reading from the likes of Bazin, Krackcauer, Eisenstein, Decartes, Said, Lacan, Haskell, Schrader, etc. etc.

I've watched films ranging from Un Chien Andalou (dir. Luis Buñel, 1929) to Out of the Past (dir. Jacques Tourneur, 1947) to Taxi Driver (dir. Martin Scorsese, 1976) to Mothlight (dir. Stan Brakhage, 1963) and many, many, more!

Aside from the texts I have to read for school I've accumulated many books on filmmaking. They are as follows...

The Screenwriter's Bible (Trottier)
Screenplay: Foundations In Screenwriting (Field)
The Screenwriter's Workbook (Field)
The Screenwriter's Problem Solver (Field)
Your Screenplay Sucks! (Akers)
The Hollywood Standard (Riley)
Story (McKee)
The Writer's Journey (Vogler)
The Tools of Screenwriting (Howard/Mabley)
The 5 C's of Cinematography (Mascelli)
Cinematography: Theory and Practice (Brown)
Motion Picture and Video Lighting (Brown)
The Visual Story (Block)
The Filmmaker's Eye (Mercado)
Film Directing Shot by Shot (Katz)
Directing: Film Techniques and Aesthetics (Rabiger)
The Film Director Prepares (Schreiberman)
Making Movies (Lumet)
In the Blink of an Eye (Murch)
Friendly Enemies (Salvi)
Directing Actors (Weston)
The Filmmaker's Handbook (Ascher/Pincus)
Planning the Low-Budget Film (Brown)
Chris Gore's ultimate Film Festival Survival Guide (Gore)

And more that I can't remember (don't have them all with me!).

I'm an aspiring writer-director and the themes or subject material I like to deal with vary. It could be identity or existentialism or whatever falls from the sky. I like try to keep my options open.

I'm a Kubrick-guy. I'm currently reading through James Naremore's On Kubrick.

And yeah...

I'm here to network, learn, debate, and most importantly -- grow as an artist. Best of luck to all of you in your future projects!!

welcome-3.gif

How about a few books about sound?

Sound Design: The Expressive Power of Music, Voice and Sound Effects in Cinema - David Sonnenschein

The Practical Art of Motion Picture Sound - David Lewis Yewdall

The Foley Grail - Vanessa Theme Ament

The Sound Effects Bible - Ric Viers

Dialogue Editing for Motion Pictures - John Purcell

Welcome Grasshopper!

I'm one of the audio guys here.

Keep in mind that the search function is your friend. Everyone here is always very glad to help you out, but a lot of the "basics" questions have been asked and answered many times.

And always remember:

"Sound is half of the experience"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WCyJRXvPNRo&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WCyJRXvPNRo&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

"Old man, how is it that you hear these things?"

"Young man, how is it that you do not?"

Hey Aaron,

I live in Des Moines. I have no professional training or experience, but would really like to get involved with film making. I love to write, and love movies.

I'd like to collaborate or help out if you need anything.

Patrick

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!!

@Alcove Audio - I actually haven't had to take any sound courses yet. Hence, the lack of audio books. Thanks for the recommendations, though!

@Patrick - Nice to see another Iowan! Send me a PM and we can talk about things!

Back