Shooting Random People in a Public Place

Let's say I'm at a public park or other public place, and there are a bunch of people out enjoying themselves on a summers day. Is it legally OK for me to shoot them from a distance, and use the footage in a film? (without getting written permission from every one of them) Or am I supposed to somehow get written permission from every person in the crowd that I shot? I know that, if I did that, many people would NOT sign a legal paper, because people are very cautious and would likely give me a hard time about it.
PLEASE ADVISE. I would like to shoot a couple of general "crowd" scenes in a park, or people walking along a busy city street. What is the bottom line on this activity?? Illegal? THANK YOU!

The ACLU has some helpful info on this subject. And there's some more helpful info here, from NMR.

Basically, if you're in a public place, you're okay unless there are local/state laws that differ. But be sure to check and see if you need a permit (there's a good chance you could in any sizable city, and the cost may range from nominal to prohibitive).

Granted, just because you can legally do something doesn't mean someone can't sue you over it. This is a time when shallow DOF (so people in the background appear blurry) might be your best friend.

I do believe that depending on where you are, if they ask you to stop or not include them in whatever you're making then you must follow their request, otherwise it's "fair game" (as long as it's not depicting them in a negative light).

Is it legally OK for me to shoot them from a distance

If they didn't see you, who's to say it was you? :lol:

ORD_L115A3_and_Sniper_Ghillie_lg.jpg

Back