Starting a film festival

I'm thinking of starting a film festival for budget but well told independent films here in Toronto. If anybody has any suggestions, I'd love to hear it.

So far, I think I've found a place that I can rent for under a 1000 per night.
I don't know anything about sponsorships and am not really sure I'll get any.
But I don't know anything about the mechanics of setting up a festival, so any suggestion would be very much appreciated.
best
Aveek
trueindieproject.com

Advertising. Location. Advertising.

It's common, as Rik has mentioned above, that festival audiences are notorious for being "lackluster", that is if you excuse those on the larger scale.

Why do the larger festivals draw in a crowd?

Because they've got massive advertising campaigns behind them. They draw in the biggest movies, and therefore, the biggest crowds. All of which forms a stellar, and honorable repuation.

They all started somewhere. Small, i would imagine.

If i could make ends meet, if the hall was big enough to house say 800 folks. I'd make your festival the "Dollar festival". Entrance a dollar, and make a deal with the cinema/theatre owner to show an old school (Or any eligable movie of interest) at the end of the night. This way, the crowd gets the bang for their buck, aswell as sourcing some new material. Offer your services to the theatre, making a commercial, or suggesting that you make promotional photographs/videos. Try to find a local catering company to swing you a cut price, or do it yourself, put a neat spread out for lunch in the foyer.

Volunteer staff. You'll find alot of film-interns, or infact, anybody looking for some work will be interested. The more help, the better.

If you get some strong material submitted, and ends meet after the agreed fee for location/advertising, then i'd say it's a good beginning foundation for your festival.

The creation of a festival depends entirely on yourself, it has no prior reputation, there are no guarantees, you just have to advertise correctly to both the film-makers, and the audience.

Just a few ideas.

Last edited:
And something else I would add, being a bunch of films I have been involved in went the festival circuit:

Do something that makes film-makers realize your festival is not a scam, or a get rich scheme for yourself. Many film-makers are wary of "new festivals", because there are many scam-artists out there using this avenue to make money.

And something else I would add, being a bunch of films I have been involved in went the festival circuit:

Do something that makes film-makers realize your festival is not a scam, or a get rich scheme for yourself. Many film-makers are wary of "new festivals", because there are many scam-artists out there using this avenue to make money.

Exactly.

No prior reputation, or valid reviews are immediate red flags. Which, ofcourse, is inevitable when starting a new festival. You have to make your audience trust you. Perhaps a "pitch" would be appropriate, explain your plans for the festival, let the film-makers know that yes, this is the first year, but you've got ideas, you're genuine...it's the often "Faceless Festivals" that immediately deter the filmmakers, make us trust you, and i'm sure you'll have plenty of submissions.

Last edited:
It's pretty easy to prove your legit - get trustworthy persons to vouch for you.

Lawyer, police office, bank manager etc.

All the best with your festival

Excellent suggestion.

Any ideas on what could be done so filmmakers don't think
it's a scam?

A tie-in with a reputable/known organization would help. Maybe do it as a benefit for them if they are a non-profit (American Red Cross comes to mind - LOL, but not for Toronto, You don't have an ARC Chapter there). Try to find well-known people to get involved. The point is, your first one or two festivals you will probably need to take a personal loss (not make any money for yourself). But as just about anything in the entertainment biz, that's how it works. You just have to keep your sights on the long term goal.

Get that kind of verifiable backing, and I can probably get you 2-3 submissions on my own.

Last edited:
It's pretty easy to prove your legit - get trustworthy persons to vouch for you.

Lawyer, police office, bank manager etc.

All the best with your festival

Another interesting suggestion.

So let's say I read on line that there is this new festival. How do I
know that the lawyer or police officer or bank manager vouching
for the festival is trustworthy? Before I send in my entry fee and
movie I want to be assured that a new festival isn't a scam.

A tie-in with a reputable/known organization would help. Maybe do it as a benefit for them if they are a non-profit (American Red Cross comes to mind - LOL, but not for Toronto, You don't have an ARC Chapter there). Try to find well-known people to get involved.
An excellent idea. I wonder what reputable/known organizations would
sponsor a new film festival. But once they do that would help show some
legitimacy.

Actually, Directorik, the NP would not be "sponsoring" the festival, they would just benefit from the proceeds and in turn, the festival is able to attach the name of the NP as a beneficiary.

"Indie Action Film Festival, 2011. Proceeds will benefit XYZ Charity. Be a part of helping your community, and enjoy what the Independent film community has to offer you in return for your generous assistance this Saturday Night."

But you will need to keep accurate records of all proceeds and give the charity exactly what you promise, if not a little more. NEVER less. Always talk in terms of percentage not dollar amount.

I have done this for other types of events. Plus you get the benefit of the charity spreading the word to their contact base, which will bump your numbers up too. And.....local newspapers would be more inclined to even do a story on the festival, if not an ad for you, possibly free. If you do it right and keep your word, this is win-win for you. Fail to do as promised, plan to move from the town you are living in, as the press will excoriate you. Not to mention possible fraud charges.

Last edited:
Wow. So many good suggestions. I personally thought the dollar film festival idea is brilliant. I know small festival organizers here in Toronto, who had a difficult time giving away their tickets for free. I myself had to be coaxed to go, for free. And the festivals sucked cause the films they showed sucked.

I personally don't think I'll get any sponsors and I don't think I'll make any money. I'm not sure I want to charge an entry fee. I think if someone takes the time to mail me a dvd, they've probably got something i may want to watch.

So here's what I'm thinking:
1. Might call it the Tooney festival (In canada we have a two dollar coin called a "tooney." [useless info: the one dollar coin in Canada is called a looney])
2. Spend whatever I can on advertising, like flyers and t-shirts
3. Not charge for submissions
4. Try to get film students interested in volunteering and spreading the word by going through their film dept
5. Solicit submissions through indietalk and .... (need to think about this more)
6. Do it for three to four evenings. A couple of them could be theme nights such as "web series showcase" or DSLR nights. Maybe that will get the web series guys to spread the word and the local camera stores to get on board.

This is what I have so far. I'm budgeting 3.5k of my own money, minus whatever I get from the two dollar entry fees.

I'll write back more if things actually start to take shape. Let me know what you guys think of it so far.
best,
Aveek
www.trueindieproject.com

Also consider contacting the local fine art museum, see if their promotions director is interested in hosting or or becoming associated with the festival.
Museums are forever trying to increase their membership.

It's entirely possible even a local college might have facilities.
Other stars to lasso may be art leagues, film co-ops and talent agencies.

Since so many indie filmakers go the DSLR route, contact local photography retailers to see if they want to set up a booth for $XX with a customer service representative to educate and direct to their shop later. Until the festival you keep that store's countertop stocked with flyers.
For a flat fee also set up a booth where the filmakers can hawk their own DVDs and materials.
And there's always a new pizza place in town trying to hawk their takeouts. Sponsors are sponsors.

Your own PR will involve contacting every ratty rag within shouting distance for canned interviews and a press release PDF.
Gopher baroque: contact the local TV stations.
A dozen free tickets to grease their palms with always goes a long way.
Even folks who just listened to your pitch.
If it's a success there's always next year for them to reconsider.

2C ledger poster in every public library and college space.

Get your website and facebook page in front of every eyeball you can.
A lot of your boots on the ground time will actually be building your cell-phone rolodex of professional contacts as you cultivate relationships.

Timing - check with the local chamber of commerce for other big shin-digs in town. Either avoid them or try to siphon off them.
Don't discount sporting events as competition, as well.

I'd reallocate funds/resources towards advertising rather than T-shirts which will be a sunk cost with questionable advertising benefit.

3. Not charge for submissions
Um... Jurried selection. At least $10 to keep the "absolute rubbish" to a minimum.
Anticipate a good deal of your time educating folks on what is and is not acceptable.
Consider a "Pisstake" event and award.
Have fun.

GL

EDIT: I'd also chack with local colleges and universities offering business admin degrees in marketing, see if any of their juniors or seniors are interested in some (volunteer) marketing experience for their resumes.

Last edited:
Beautifu. Just beautiful. I'm getting high off of all of these suggestions. You guys have been bloody fantastic. I'll keep everybody posted and check back to see if more suggestions are posted.

Also, rayw, when you say that I should focus funds towards advertising as opposed to t-shirts, what do you mean? Do you mean flyers, or do you mean actual print ads?

thanks everybody
Aveek
www.trueindieproject.com

I'd second the notion of opting to use the money set for t-shirts, for further advertising. T-shirts are costly.

Go Guerilla with is, if necessary. Local radio stations, Newpapers, town meetings are a must, post flyers around the Universities, and on message boards, local student bars, through peoples doors, in the theatres/cinemas. Make every last person know that there's a NEW, EXCITING festival, and it's run by a local. Let the people know that everybody working there is local, the food is local etc This is for the town. Their town, and you want it to continue.

Make it fun. Have novelty categories that the audience can vote for, get them involved as much as possible. Each of the three nights is seperated by GENRE. (Be clear if there's a Horror flick or anything that could deter ANY member of the adueince, what's appropriate for what age/viewer) No sweet old lady is wanting to be sitting through a Slasher. So be sure to play to your strengths of your target audience, choose the movies best suited for them.

Get something that you can put as a prize in a raffle. Not only does your one-dollar get you a festival ticket. But they're going to get a chance at a neat prize, it doesn't have to be anything spectacular, a bottle of wine and a couple DVD's, a one-month movie pass to the theatre, or something along those lines. You don't have to push this, it's not your selling point, but it's a nice undertone and a nice momento for one of your viewers.

Make it a good day out.

I would suggest that you do charge for submissions, you may have interperated the "Free festival" as a certificaiton that you aren't looking to scam anybody, but this could also hinder your reputation, you want the festival to be respected, alot of film-makers will see a free festival as a dead-end. Why? I'm not so sure, money means merit, perhaps? a ten-dollar or five-dollar submission fee would be just fine.

You have to acquire the best web-designer you can, I'm sure there are people willing to help you out. The website is key. It's the first obsticale that will either encourage the film-maker/viewer to go ahead browsing, or immediately believe this to be a waste of time. You're going to be plugging your website a hell of alot, you can't expect your audience to keep your flyers, and remember the information, make it readily available on ALL of the networking sites.

Onwards and upwards, bud.

Last edited:
Also, rayw, when you say that I should focus funds towards advertising as opposed to t-shirts, what do you mean? Do you mean flyers, or do you mean actual print ads?

Originally I was thinking "Yes!", the money (about $300+ just for 100 1C/1S printing) would be better spent getting feet through the door.

But after reading PaperTwin's post I'm thinking he's got the better idea of meaningful giveaways and "won" premiums will create a better user experience (Blech! Can't believe I just used that term. WTH is wrong with me?!).

Skip the wienie pens and t-shirts, but consider allocating a small amount of funds towards just silly fun sh!t, something akin to Mardi Gras Beads. Just some token takeaway.
$50 in rubber vomit patties frizbeed out into the crowd may be better than $300 t-shirts.

Audience participation is synergistically paramount!
Think Rocky Horror Picture Show in the theater (not at home on DVD. Spare me.)
"A toast..."
"TO MELBA!!!"

It's not so much you need to make a perfect impression this year as much as you want each person to bring back 3.7 people next year.

Segregating and grouping the entries into genres and allocating into appropriate time slots is almost a given.
And you'll likely have to form a small reviewing committee to guesstimate faux-MPAA ratings.
People are weird.
In your film you can have a minor child gun down her glue huffing principal and say "F#ck you" and guess what everyone will get all up in arms over?
The swearing.
OMG.

SURVEYS
These are crucial.
Find out "How?!" all these freaks found out about this gig? Spend next year's promotion budget accordingly.
What were their expectations?
What did they like/didn't like?
How can next year's festival be better?

EDIT: And for all the (legit) grousing folks make around here about the paucity of funding for indie projects, have the audience vote for a fan favorite - maybe online? (just to mine emails!) - an award a worthwhile/meaningful amount to that filmaker's next project.
It's not a payment durring this event, but rather a promise to pay upon completion of the next.
Gotta get those carrots out there, folks.
Indie Survivor.

Last edited:
Sounds like a great idea, I've consider doing this myself. Here's a few of my thoughts, for what it's worth...

I don't know that the charity/prominent figure endorsement thing is necessarily a way to assure people it's not a scam - that's the first thing anyone pulling a scam would do to give themselves a sheen of legitimacy. Not that benefitting a charity is a bad thing, but if that's not your primary goal with the whole thing then to me it seems suspicious if you're focusing heavily on that in marketing.

I'm also wondering if doing it over three nights is a good idea for your first time, might be better to just do one. You're spending 3x as much on theater rentals vs. marketing. With what's left over for marketing you've got to reach 3x as many people to fill the theater every night. You also need to find that many more good films. It feels to me like you risk diluting the experience - more, but not necessarily the best films, and less audience. Why not focus everything on one really good night, so you're more likely to have a packed theater and just the best films so everyone in the audience leaves remembering it as an incredible experience? If it goes well you can always expand next year and build on the great experience people remember from the first time.

The ticket charge thing is tough, you don't want to keep people away because of the expense, but if you don't charge at all you're kind of telling them it's probably not worth anything. Maybe set a low but not insignificant price, $5 maybe? Then have a limited number of free passes which you make available at local businesses. You'll promote the businesses in your marketing, they get first hand experience of the interest in your festival - so that next year they may be more receptive when you ask for actual sponsorship.

I guess all of my advice really goes towards looking at it as a long term project - your goal with the first year is to establish the legitimacy and quality of the festival in the eyes of potential filmmakers, audience, and sponsors. Focusing all your efforts on one really good night seems like it's more likely to do that.

Whatever you end up doing - good luck! I look forward to seeing how it works out.

My suggestion was advertising, not promotion. T-shirts are a little bit
of promotion. Seriously, how many people will see someone in a t-shirt
during a day? And how many of those people will understand that the
t-shirt is advertising an up coming film festival? And how many of those
will decide to attend because they saw someone wearing a t-shirt.

I get people to go to the theater and watch movies you need to advertise
and advertise big. And that costs a LOT of money. And that's were most
film festivals fail. They cannot attract an audience. I have flown halfway
across the country on my own dime to attend a screening of my movie
only to sit in a theater with six people.

All these other suggestions are great. I'm impressed with the suggestions.
But what we filmmakers want is an audience. We want butts in the seats.
How you get them there will be the key to your festival.

Back