Non-conformity

Ralph Waldo Emerson said "a man is not a man unless he is a non-conformist". With that, I'd like to introduce myself to the community with the conformity of the idea of "Indie".

I have written a few novels and with my second, I had decided that if it is a period piece, I had to write it as if it were written in that period and I was wrong. Coming to the conclusion that those set to read it have been dead for 150 years, I'd made a mistake and cured my mistake by writing a screenplay of it. I overlaid it on the novel and it leeched the romantic meanderings out, gave the novel the forward motion it needed and became enamored with the filmic idea.

Of course the film is "the new opera" imbued with the same thing the opera is but a concentration of the visual. I am a composer by inclination and degree. Graduating from California Institute of the Arts with an MFA as a composer/performer, I worked along side of animators, film makers and choreographers. The film is the most complex, yet simplest expose of a complete idea.

As well, the word is the most concrete expose of an idea and I was mostly composing instrumental music. Music of this sort is the language of the emotions and this is quite cogent but to express an idea in the concrete necessitates words.

So, I'm here to talk. I've written a California Gold Rush tale called "Yosemite and the Opium Journal" in which I have a POV character that surrogates the English Romantics and the transcendentalist idea of being in nature. The southern lode of the Cali. gold rush was the most diverse place on the planet and the POV is present with a fiddle and an opium addiction to witness events of the Mariposa Indian War. This is not "Dances With Wolves" but a western that's not a western.

Back