it's time for a new independent movie industry

Bulletproof Monk(2).. attack of the ZenSteve

Haaaigh-ya!!
smiley_fu.gif

Hey Shot Renegade
Nice website, I’m looking forward to viewing maybe in pictures some of the projects you have created or produce that would show your skills, I knew by the things you said in your post that you had the fire in you,. but don’t hold a grudge, you knew you needed a kick in the pants to get it started, you don’t have to give me credit just be like our friend Spatula the minion or like the other filmmakers/proofreaders in here that were just sitting on their butts and playing the dumb role that they had no clue of what I was talking about but now by some miracle had a revelation as to what the word discussion means,
I was about to blame this phenomenon of the public school system but now they are at least discussing how a new venue could be created but I don’t think they have the cajones to pull it off, I read some of the ideas and they are falling back into that same abyss to nowhere, still the same old same old ideas, they need to add something new to those ideas that will instantly bring attention to this project, maybe they should look at what vegasindiestv is trying to do, maybe some of the answers lie there….maybe

Insults?..how rude.. I rather refer to them as slaps of reality,…Funches 3:16

See Funches I wish they did look and see what im trying to do I would have more films. But thanks for the words. O ya and how do poeple find funding, I would think this is something worth funding, and even poeple that are interested won't cut me a check. What Am I doing wrong?

Last edited:
Hey vegasindiestv
Right now people are submitting to you their films like they are doing you a favor, you have to switch that around, you may have to present your tv program in another way in another light. but I and others could probably give you more information if we knew how your program is setup…for instant, do you play everyone’s film in it's entirety?, even the one’s that suck? ...er.... since the word suck is relative and lies in the eye of the beholder, what if we use the phrase (Blew Chucks) instead, which may more closely define the worst of the worst

Haha nah sucks works. Yes you are right funches. Poeple do think they are doing me a favor and really we helping each other they help me to get content on th show I advertise there stuff. As for the show info it's pretty basic they submit there short I air the whole thing. You see there whole film on tv. I also have slots for trailers, and commercials. So basically a film festival on tv but you dont win anything, just get to have millions see your work. So there it is...

Keep with it Vegas.
I honestly think the kinds of ideas we're coming up with and following through with are the ideas that will pave the way for the next indie film boom.
With technology becoming better and better (and cheaper), the studios will realize you don't have to spend 14million on a movie, when you can do it for $100,000 and creativity.

I think within 5-10 years the "alternate market" will make a big rise. If anyone here ISN'T excited to be involved in independent film at this very exciting time, you need prozac.

I mean, hell, if DAWSON could make it, anyone can. :P

Hey vegasindiestv

what's the name of your program?

Do you have a website and at certain intervals does your program display your website address?

If you do have a website is it set up to help sells these movies and/or push your talents and endeavors

And Spatula you are right, it shouldn't take that much to make a movie but that is the differents of Hollywood and Independent Films ..hollywood is about big money, fame, gitchs, glamor, over spending, the rich and famous...Independent films are like the poor part of town and more like art..and call for Brains to get things done

and there is a way that technology could work against Independent filmmakers...the Internet will eventually move to the television screen..webpages will be replaced with video, this may be the fate of most filmmakers making video for these sites, and think of the number of sites there would be.. millions..rendering most of then useless with the same problem as how to get people to the site..

even in the movies now actors are slowly being replaced by computer generated characters, computer generated characterization is in it's infancy but soon any 5 year old will be able to sit at the computer and produce a movie using this technology...

so if independent are going to do anything it better be now while the field of play between hollywood and independents are now even, and because of the billions of dollars involved hollywood will find a way to use this technology to blow independents out of the water ..maybe even converting to hollogram or some other great technological weirdness

Funches you don't even know what I have done, i've been doing this for 2 years now. I've hit up almost every other indy site to advertise. Here's my site. http://www.vegasindies.com the show name is VegasIndiesTV. I know it;s going to hit eventually just takes time. I just get a little discouraged. Sorry i didn't have my site up i forgot that once Indietalk went to Paid membership they take all that off.

GO here http://www.vegasindies.com

hey vegasindiestv
I checked out your site, if seems you are making all the right moves, your site is really the next step in the evolution of the internet

research

There's some good ideas on here. Have any of you done research on any other industries that have challenged the "mainstream" and succeeded? The one I have researched and am familiar with is the massive Christian market. The Christian music industry now competes alongside the mainstream in revenue and public exposure with many artists having massive crossover success(superchick, switchfoot, stacy orrico, ect).

That industry exploded, I think partially because they catored to a huge niche market and consumer group that the "mainstream" had ignored. After the success of "The Passion" which had churches taking busloads to the theatre's the major studios are trying to capitalize on that niche market and not lose out. That is just one niche market, but who will capture these large niche markets? I think that if a new indie industry is to thrive they have to capture some of these niche markets...

Without major studio backing it does depend on sales and who will buy. That's why Christian music exploded...That's a huge demographic that will buy alternative products. It was a void and demand that was filled. Their is currently a void in Christian film. That's just one example.

So what other consumer voids and demands are not being met and how could indies use that to become more of a force? Are their enough mainstream consumers unhappy enough to go looking for alternitives? Just some thoughts...how could the large number of indie filmmakers form an industry that was competitive?

hey reeceracer
You know the money-o-phobia that permeates this site so Market Research among other things would be nice but to find the people that would dedicate themselves to such a task without getting paid and actually doing it right and in a timely manner is possible but not probable also why try to compete with Hollywood?

Also it will take a tactic that would bring instant attention to Independent movies as to show their power as potential money makers which in turn would draw investors and others

It seems Independent Filmmakers want the same thing they want in Hollywood ..fame and fortune, so by including these factors could be a possible way of drawing the majority of independent filmmakers to the cause of getting involved.

It appears that independent movies has no rating system, so how do you know exactly what you’re about to view or buy?..this is a major problem.. one of concepts that may help remedy this problem may lie in what vegasindiestv is doing

what is the best independent movie that been made by a filmmaker on this IndiesTalk site? And which film is the best short that should become a movie that was produced by a filmmaker on this site? Now imagine the word spreading and all Independent filmmakers coming to this site believing their movie is the best ..these questions are the concepts to starting a new Independent movie industry…

and again to trying to compete with Hollywood just use the same glitch and glamour they used, rent out a large monstrous hall, ride up in Limos and hold the Independent movie awards, best film, actor/actresses, special effects, story etc. awards ceremonies …..invitations only…er..dress Black tie? …

televise it on tv or live over the internet …it is a simply way to raise the funds to do this….any ideas?

…er..vegasindiestv, there are ways to get money for your project…Step one: ask for money….Step 2: find and then brown-nose investors..…Step 3: produce a project that would make investors or donators brown-nose you…Step 4:..generate money by creating a machine that feeds itself…Step 5…create a project so bizarre that if would generate attention and generate money…Step 6..recuit those with the needed skills to create and finance the project themselves because they know it is in their best interest to do so

to best illustrate these concepts I will used steps three thru six to create The Ailanthus Chamber project, I was hoping that the filmmakers on this site with all their supposedly brain power could get things started but that hijacker’s thread is not going anywhere, all talk and no action and the same old same old concepts so now I guess it’s up me, now you can better understand why I was just going to concentrate the project to Chicago …. so I decided to keep on this forum a journal of what I’m going to do and the reasons for these choices, well at least until I get bored or don’t have the time to do it anymore and let say by some unconceivable reason I don’t pull this project off …at least I tried

procedure one…find ten Chicago bands and ten Chicago nightclubs…so far eleven bands has contacted me within a week of posting on the internet but the best place to find them is to leave literature about the project at the places they congregate, at nightclubs that host live music…the trick is to find ten serious bands that can understand the concept

to understand what ten bands have to do with the project, I created a website for this purpose, go to it and click on The Ailanthus Chamber http://www.geocities.com/funchesfilms/index.html

but why ten bands and ten nightclubs?…because it’s a way to generate money and advertisement without brown-nosing investors… there are thousands of bands in Chicago, all merely clones of themselves, most will fade away, most can’t even give away their CDs let along sell them, but it will be those that know they need to do something different to bring attention to themselves and the nightclubs just want the business, this would also create the backbone to a music circuit in Chicago but you can get the picture the type of money that could be generated, the type of advertisement it would generate…it would create a self-sustaining machine that’s capable of feeding itself…and I shall call this creation the Funchestein Monster or is that Farkensteen?...it’s alive..alive...hey, just keeping it film …

Last edited:
This whole idea of creating a new independent movie industry is pretty cool, but I think it might need to embrace the facts of today: Digital cameras means there's a LOT more access to equipment, making a DVD hasn't been easier, and there's a lot of people out there that want to create. a lot!

One of my business professors was telling us how, in the future, large corporations are going to eventually collapse due to the ability for local businesses to be so specific to their community's needs. Maybe, maybe not. But I wouldnt' be suprised if this happened with filmmaking as well, where it became localized; a community culture, where "LA films" would be a specific style, and "Chicago" or "New York Films" would cater specifically to the area, the people, and the culture. I mean, there's enough people out there to do it... just some thoughts

Back