Opening for my horror screenplay.

What do you think of the idea/opening

• Total voters
I'm writing a horror screenplay and I'm uploading the opening to get some ideas on what people think. I'm only a senior in high school, so I know my writing isn't out of this world fantastic, but it's something I enjoy. I really like horror movies- who doesn't- and I've always wanted a career in making them. It's far fetched, I know- I'm intending to study political science in college- but it's always been a dream of mine. I'm rambling about nonsensical things that no one cares about. Anyways, I'd like some feedback about it. Especially formatting and what to include/not include. I haven't written many screenplays, so I wasn't sure about what to include.
Heres my mini-logline by the way:
After a series of inexplicable occurrences around their house, two siblings set out to document whatever-or whomever-is living in their house.
The link is below. I'm still working with the title- it's temporary at this point.
It's essentially based off a dream I had where a man was living in my house. He had some elaborate mansion right below our humble little home. It's quirky- I know- but I like the surreal nature of it all. I also feel like it has potential to be very stylish/atmospheric- especially the mansion beneath the ground. Oh, he killed my family at the end- a lovely dream, I know- so that's why it's horror.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&...NmJiYi00MDJhLWFiMDktNGE4MTBiZTMzMTky&hl=en_US

Thank you guys so much!

Last edited:
Sorry, buddy. This link took me to the sign-in page, then, once I had signed in, I was told I didn't have permission to view the document.

Fix it up and I'll take a look later.

Jump is not a tradition transition, I’m not even sure what you mean. Do you mean a straight cut or are you planning something fancy? Normally, you don’t need to note transitions (as you already seem to know), cuts are just assumed when moving from one scene to another. I only put a transition in my screenplays if it’s a fade, as that seems important to me.

Formatting – in the introduction of Chad his name should be capitalised. Not a biggie, but it’s standard formatting.

“shrugs it off - thinking it could have easily been something else” – This is one of those things you can’t show on screen. How do we know he shrugs it of and thinks of something else? Whatever the character will actually do, write that instead. I think this is the only time you’ve done this though.

Introduce CHASE in the action before his first line. Capitalise his name, add a little description.

“Chase shoots Chad the stink eye” – I don’t know what that means. To be perfectly honest… well, you don’t want to know what I think of when I hear the term “stink eye”.

Some of the lines of action as they arrive downstairs could do with being broken up. I like to think of my actions as a shot list. Break the action up as the focus changes, either from person to person, or area to area.

Chase appears to take the water bottle from the fridge twice.

“Chase flips another light-switch, illuminating the previously dark open room” – You seem to know this already, but ‘-ing’ words are a big no-no. Illuminating somehow needs to be switched up for illuminates, or something similar.

If it’s really important that you use the song “Dream a Little Dream of Me", leave this in. But you’d be better off just leaving it as ‘music’.

Overall, I’d say this is well done. Obviously, I don’t know how your story goes after this, but I can only imagine this as a short. Perhaps it could be the opening to a feature, where by this acts as a flashback. I don’t know, it’s your story.

Good job so far though, keep it up.

Back