• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

How do you fill plot holes?

For my current script I came up with the third act first. That way I have the perfect one, and can build into it. Then I started coming up with the first two, and thought of a surprise twist I want to happen before the third. However, I find myself having plot holes in between. For my previous scripts I had the same problem and it took years to rewrite it over and over and finally fill them in. Plus it requires having to come with a scenario or character's decision that is illogical and forced, just so the twist or outcome you want, can occur.

So how do you more experienced writers, know that you have not forced the envelope of unreasonableness too far, or how do you fill in plot holes better? Whatever twist you come up with two get out of the plot hole, it cancels out another twist, and creates another one. Any writing tricks to it? Thanks.

Can you possibly shed some more light on what this plot hole really is. Then maybe we can be of better assistance.

" what will audiences prefer, a unique original climax, that feels a bit forced or one that is natural and logical, but not near as interesting and twisty as a result?"

If the climax is a huge shoot out in the middle of the highway and the bad guy talks into his watch only to have a UFO show up moments later where he hops in and gets away.... Yeah, I'll probably never watch another movie that you do...

So be a little more direct and just tell us what plot hole, unique climax, forced or not forced ending you are talking about.

Can you possibly shed some more light on what this plot hole really is. Then maybe we can be of better assistance.

" what will audiences prefer, a unique original climax, that feels a bit forced or one that is natural and logical, but not near as interesting and twisty as a result?"

If the climax is a huge shoot out in the middle of the highway and the bad guy talks into his watch only to have a UFO show up moments later where he hops in and gets away.... Yeah, I'll probably never watch another movie that you do...

So be a little more direct and just tell us what plot hole, unique climax, forced or not forced ending you are talking about.

Sure. there ere other possible holes depending but this is probably the big one that will determine the others.

The leader of a gang wants to have one of his members killed, Member, A, cause he is afraid he cannot trust her. She wants out but he wants her to kill two innocent people, before he considers letting her go. These two innocents have a reason for being killed that makes sense, so nevermind that.

He knows that a lot of his men will not agree to killing a Member A, since she's one of them. Another one of his members wants out, Member B, and since he doesn't want him to leave, here's his plan. Member B is a dirty cop. He will tell Member B, in order to get out, he has to kill Member A.

But he wants him to kill her, right after she kills the two innocent people. That way he can make it look like a police shooting situation, call it in and make up his own story. He will wait for her to kill the two innocent people, then kill her, make up his own story for the cops later, as to why he was there, and he shot her cause she was shooting people.

But he also does it in front of other gang members who happen to be there too. So this situation is really complex and perhaps even not the most logical but it's best way I can think of to tie both halves of the story together. So the question is, do these three scenarios have any plot holes, that can be filled?

Last edited:
if he doesn't want the dirty cop to leave, would he not try to get something on him to hold him? like having the other gang members there to video tape him doing the murder (showing him talking to her or something before as they would know each other) and then that would be why the other gang members would be there too? How they react to it would be up to your aim at the end. Then again, if they do see him kill her, I doubt he would survive very long if the boss wants him to stay.

Boss has a real employee retention issue going on, don't he?

And quit calling the innocents such if "These two innocents have a reason for being killed that makes sense".
That's just... (what's polite way of saying retarded) contradictory.

They are targets, threats to the organization, vendettas to be sated.

A wants out.
B wants out.
Boss wants targets X & Y snuffed.
Boss tells A to hit X & Y.
Boss tells B to hit A afterwards.
B kills A in front of homies.

No holes.
Nothing complicated there.
You're good.

Now... if B starts humping A and can't follow through with his part of the bargain with the boss, and the two decide to take Wheatgrinder's $10k and leave the country THAT could complicate things.
Otherwise, your plot's old as dirt and easy as pie.

Really? I just thought it was too illogical. Especially perhaps if the other gang members see it happen, but then they have will have to kill the dirty cop, to get even, and things are possibly even worse then. But if it makes all logical sense, for a very serious thriller...

I'm... excited.

2002-04-18-inside-enzyte.jpg

Here's the thing though. The boss wants B to hit A after A hits X and Y, and act like it was a police shooting, more or less. However A is not the one with the gun at the time, another gang member is. So B points his police pistol, at the gunman and forces A to take the gun beforehand, in order to complete the task. Is that logical?

Sounds fine to me.

Devil's in the details.

F#ckit.
Any particular reason Boss just doesn't have B pop a cap in the a$$ of A, X & Y before calling it a day?

Back