• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

Wow have a look at this!!

That is quite possibly the worst plug for fundraising I have seen this year.

Whatever happened to the fine art of conversation, to get people talking about your film?

I'm really sorry but I have to agree with Steve.

A few pointers: if a project is your own never post somewhere saying 'wow look at this'. It feels very spammy and it would help a lot if you were transparent with us by first introducing yourself, explaining your past experience (come on, seriously no one will give money to someone who has NOTHING to show for themselves).

You will find it very difficult getting money if a) no one knows who you actually are b) no one knows what the money is actually going towards?? C) no story or ANYTHING is demonstrated bar a few words about men's health.

Good luck, but I'm sorry I don't see it working out for you if you continue with this approach to the audience

Ok ok, sorry to disappoint you Milecreations but I will reply, call me naive call me stupid call me anything you like I don’t really give a rats.
Here is my story and how I came to put that post.
I am 53 years old, after years of procrastination I finally ticked off one of my bucket list items to learn the art of screenwriting. Did a course through AFTRS here in Australia, was a good course with a well qualified tutor. Anyhow I completed my first screenplay after the course and thought this is easy now all I have to do is get someone to make it, little did I realise that out of the 7.4 billion people on this planet, 7.359 billion have written a screenplay. So I have sent out query letters, joined websites like done deal pro and virtual pitch fest and after probably 12 months I finally had someone interested in my script, unfortunately he was a bogus producer and proceeded to rip me off. Disheartened I wrote another and whilst I haven’t been ripped off with this one I am still running into brick walls.
So now to my current project, idea. I have a good friend who runs men’s health nights, while talking one day he said he has heaps of funny situations etc that have come out of these nights why don't you write a stage play for me, I thought about it and said that I thought a movie would have more impact to a larger audience.
So I formulated an idea and started the process but after having my previous dealings and knowing that money talks in the industry came up with my now misguided YouTube thingy.
I know it mentions nothing in it about the movie but when you have shell shock you don’t want to give anything away so I quickly put that together on Power director11 and posted it, in the back of my mind I probably knew what the outcome would be but I am a person who is willing to try anything to get an end result. Happy to accept your criticism because you have no idea who I am or what is going on in my head but don’t think I am a bad person.
I work in the radio industry writing and selling advertising, one of my commercials has made it to a finalist in our nationwide radio awards.
Milecreations I notice you are from Bendigo, I live in Swan Hill. How clever are you with the camera with short films etc as I have an idea for a short about Pokie Machine addiction that in turn could be sold to Government departments. Would need to be able to put some good special effects.
So I have already apologised to Knightly and now to your people so you can make up your own mind but believe me it was done with only the best intentions in mind.

Hi Gary, I did actually do some research on you, however was not sure if you were the one from Swan Hill or not.

I'm glad you've replied; in the past threads of 'look at this' are often one of spammers, while I was pretty sure you were actually legit it came across as though you may not have been so I was trying to give advice as to how you appeared to be presenting yourself, I'm sorry if you felt criticized.

Yes I very well may be interested in helping you out with that. If you go to my YouTube channel you can judge for yourself whether or not you think I would be capable. The link is in my signature down below.

-Brendan

No worries, I could not expect anything else but criticism now that I look at what I did from the perspective of someone who doesn't know me. I probably would have had the same thoughts
Have had a look at your website, mate you have a big future ahead of you congratulations with it all. I will have a bit more of a look and when I get a chance will send you an email with my idea.
Funny how these things work out.

Marketing is key in this industry, not only marketing if your movie, but marketing of yourself. For all any of us know, your screenplay could be a huge hit, but that video does not scream 'huge hit' to me, and when you're looking for funding, you should be pitching the nucleus of your story, not your own life story.

Seems to me like you should look at building a network around you of people who are experienced in different aspects of filmmaking that you are not.
If your screenplay does center on Men's health issues, and is good, you'll probably find yourself open to all sorts of funding opportunities, even from real traditional areas (Screen Australia, Film Vic).

I don't think anyone here resents you for the video that you posted, merely giving you criticism on a video that simply doesn't work.

This community is large and helpful, albeit often brutally honest. There are many of us here who can help you with your films, be it as tips, reviews of your script, or anything else.

Here is my story and how I came to put that post.............believe me it was done with only the best intentions in mind.

That story should have been your first post. Glad to hear that you're legit!

Also, it's cool to see several Aussies on this board. I actually wanted to move there, back in the 80's, back when movies from George Miller (MAD MAX) and.....the other George Miller (MAN FROM SNOWY RIVER) were invading American shores.

I recently met with Chris Sun (DADDY'S LITTLE GIRL) at the Polly Grind Film Fest. He was telling me about farmers who owned a million acres(!) and would allow filmmakers, like himself, to shoot on their land and blow things up. Fun stuff.

That story should have been your first post. Glad to hear that you're legit!

I felt the same

Also, it's cool to see several Aussies on this board. I actually wanted to move there, back in the 80's, back when movies from George Miller (MAD MAX) and.....the other George Miller (MAN FROM SNOWY RIVER) were invading American shores.

I recently met with Chris Sun (DADDY'S LITTLE GIRL) at the Polly Grind Film Fest. He was telling me about farmers who owned a million acres(!) and would allow filmmakers, like himself, to shoot on their land and blow things up. Fun stuff.

You should it's an awesome country :P Though our films don't offer so much these days, barely any at standard cinemas are Australian made. Our TV has a lot more Australian shows, but many US and Canadian as well. (I mean for some reason they think we want to watch American Idol, or other reality shows that we actually have our own version of: Do you guys see any Australian reality shows ever?) Even our top Aussie actors have to put on a fake American accent!

Do you guys see any Australian reality shows ever?

Speaking for myself, no. But your movies export, quite well. I used to go out of my way to catch ROMPER STOMPER (before Russell Crowe became famous), RAZORBACK, THE LONG WEEKEND, ENCOUNTER AT RAVEN'S GATE, THE NAVIGATOR, DEAD CALM, FORTRESS, CROCODILE DUNDEE, etc. You have a lot of talented people and that, along with wide open spaces, were reasons I wanted to live there. I grew up in the Arizona desert, so it didn't seem that foreign to me.

I know scoopicman, I have certainly learnt from my mistake on this one, was in too much of a hurry. Mate a million acres is an average, our biggest is 6 million which is 4 times bigger than your biggest, sorry we had to beat you at something!

Back