You in 2015

So, it's almost March, but it stills feels like the start of 2015. I thought it might be good to have a thread about what we plan to achieve, and what we're hoping to achieve, over the next 12 months.

***​

So, for me, I think my main project is going to be the documentary I've been working on now for 18 months and have made little progress with. I'm not going to dive into a narrative project unless I come up with (or the Angels deliver me) a really great script. So I want to focus on making a professional-quality, artistically and intellectually satisfying documentary.

I'm not sure whether there will be more episodes of my web-series, The Magic Circle. I'd like to shoot some more, but don't really have the money to do so, and I'm not sure how easy it would be to round the whole cast up again, even for a day. Only a few have stayed in touch and they seem quite busy. So that'll also go on the back-burner, unless it catches fire online and we become superstars.

Speaking on a non-practical level, the thing I'd like most in 2015 is to create a piece of work that I'm really satisfied with, where I'm happy with my own contribution. The Magic Circle was really the first project I've done where I felt that I'd got it right, and the feedback was great (in comparison with feedback on other projects which was often polite or muted or flattery rather than honesty). So I want to make something which is up to the standards that I would set my self.

***​

How about you??

Good luck with the documentary, I love making a documentary, but the still don't hold a torch to a narrative to me.

I'm going to be working on my big project, my Crew movie, but my plan is to film it over the summer of 2016, this summer I want to make maybe a 30 minute short film to have practice, and start my script for my feature length crew movie.

Oh man, 2015 so far has been the year of the unexpected. But in a good way.

I'm back in school pursuing my first degree, in computer engineering. That plus my day job means I'm the busiest I've ever been.

In that vein I am in the planning stages of a piece of software for filmmakers that I think will be very useful and plan on selling at a significantly lower cost than related software on the market now. With any luck it will be in betatesting by the end of the year.

Filmmaking-wise I've got a short script I'd love to get made this spring or summer. Well see what time allows, though. I'm taking some pretty hardcore classes.

Yay a post I can make and then judge myself for at the end of the year when only half of these goals are reached.
----------------
Well anyways! I hope in 12 months that I'm heading into the last 6 months of film school without any failed classes or absences.

Of course I also hope to have my Kubrick tribute, Ultraviolence, done within the next three months. Hopefully without killing my career young due to the graphic nature of it. Then having at least another 2 shorts out by the end of the year. All of course being the highest quality I can make them, being that I have a top quality facility at my disposal.

Also I design games... so I hope my Kickstarter next month is successful... that my celebrity lead game funds later in the year... and uhhh not to lose money this year due to conventions? XD

I'm hoping to make a bunch of short films of much higher quality than I was capable of in the past and to start building a following on Youtube. It's gonna be really tough with a day job and two children but hopefully, if I avoid sleep enough, and if I work hard enough, I can pull it off.

Originally posted by NickClapper:
I've been eagerly following the BTS videos. Are you planning to hit festivals in late 2015? Or wait until 2016?

Glad you like the bts - should have another one in a week or so!

We're going to try for some of the ultra-competitive fests first - might not make it by definitely want to try. We'll aim for a few at the end of this year, then early 2016. And yeah, I have a back-up plan :)

This year i will finish my youtube, crime thriller web series.
And I will start filming my masterpiece short film for festivals :)

Yay a post I can make and then judge myself for at the end of the year when only half of these goals are reached.

True – I never quite achieve what I want or expect.

But maybe 2015 will be the year where we achieve something completely unexpected, but unexpectedly great.

I plan on getting an agent at the end of the year or at least a talk with one distributor for my film.

the journey to that will be :

2015 Goals to Success

1. 5 Adverts (sub categorise)
2. 5 Short films (including Documentaries)
3. Get into 1 biggish film festival by the end of the year
4. Better Showreel
5. Speak to an Agent
6. Get an Agent

so far I have released 1 short film, 2nd one im editing, I have finished an Advert just waiting for the sound to come so i can release it.

I have an upcoming documentary project that I am making, im also involved in another documentary, I am currently writing another short film and I will be aiming to shoot 3 adverts whether real or fake from September onwards, I hope by august that I will have gained sufficient Director skills aswell as additional DP skills to solidify my filmmaking etiquette.

This is an important year for me, I will probably burn out sooner than i think but next year my aim is to be ready as a person to handle a feature film.

Shoot the attempt at a commercial project I am working on. It's a doc!

Try to monetise. Expect failure but in the process, learn how to monetise.

We always practice our film making skills so now to practice my monetisation skills.

This year I hope to sell a few spec marketing concepts and produce the videos that come with them. (I'm pretty sure at least one of them could be in the running for a marketing award for it's effective simplicity... although this may sound cocky :P )

I want to start writing a children's book about a fantastic adventure.
I also want to start working on a script, writing it in proper format.

Businesswise I want this to be the year I have a high and stable income and more work than I can handle on my own, so I can grow (and make my friends happy, because I need to hire them). Maybe even make space for an intern to teach him/her what I can.

At the moment I'll be busy for 1 client for at least the next 2 months, so that gives a nice start to 2015 :)

Secretly I'd like to shoot more stuff and scenes for the community project: it's really cool to be part of it. :P

And if I win a lottery, I'll fund some IT projects :D

I really want to shoot 2 short films this year. I'm having the worst writer's block I think I've ever had. I've been writing everyday since November or December and have basically nothing I can shoot currently. At this point I may end up directing a friend's script. I do have one script I can shoot, but have to wait until the weather warms up here in the northeast as it takes place on a lake.

On a lake can be done when it's freezing cold ;)

Ha, true! I should have specified-- a beach next to a lake. Weather does play a factor in the script.

In the meantime, I'd love to shoot a short horror film 3-5 pages one location inside an apartment/condo. Something tight. I haven't shot a horror film in nearly 6 years.

I was in two minds as whether or not to post in this thread, as the last time I laid my goals for the year out, I didn't get very far...

But this year I've got myself an actual, proper, realistically achievable goal. One short movie. That's it. Just one short movie, that I've already written and have done most of the pre-prod for, so just needs shooting. The plan is for that to happen in May.

Here's to crossed fingers!

shoot the first segment of what may become a feature

shoot a fun battle scene short in homage to monty python

gain full employment after current internship at prod agency

develop White Opus as a production collaboration, get away from paid projects and focus on method and art until getting back into paid gigs (current job supports all basic life needs in addition to occasional gear purchases).

I was in two minds as whether or not to post in this thread, as the last time I laid my goals for the year out, I didn't get very far...

I feel you, but I think it can be a good idea to write down some goals, otherwise they just exist as amorphous thoughts inside your head. I never seem to know exactly what I want to achieve until I sit down and actually spell it out.

I'm sure you'll get that short in the bag. Anything I can do to help (not sure what...), just shout!

Probably working on PA stuff and editing corporate videos until I can finally show Indietalk the feature film that I edited. Hopefully Late 2015 i can show it to you guys!

Last edited:
Back