• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Screenplay formatting question

Hi Everyone,

I have some scenes that will be shot partly on location and some in the studio, because of blue screen and rear projection effects. When I try to schedule the days I end up having to make extra breakdown sheets for the special effects shots, and I don't know how to number these scenes. Any help would be greatly appreciated.! Thanks!

Technically this isn't a script issue so much as an shot list issue. You can interpolate with the scene from which it's shot. On your board strips you could have:

Inside your script:
16 INT. SPACESHIP CARGO AREA - DAY

In your board breakdown:
16A1 INT / DAY / SPACESHIP CARGO AREA (STUDIO)
16A2 INT / DAY / SPACESHIP CARGO AREA (BLUE SCREEN)

You might repost this in the Pre-Production forum which discusses scheduling, shot planning, locations, etc.

Technically this isn't a script issue so much as an shot list issue. You can interpolate with the scene from which it's shot. On your board strips you could have:

Inside your script:
16 INT. SPACESHIP CARGO AREA - DAY

In your board breakdown:
16A1 INT / DAY / SPACESHIP CARGO AREA (STUDIO)
16A2 INT / DAY / SPACESHIP CARGO AREA (BLUE SCREEN)

You might repost this in the Pre-Production forum which discusses scheduling, shot planning, locations, etc.

If you have reached the stage of writing a shooting script, you might like to check this for certain in reference manuals. FantasySciFi tends to spout off the top of his head and much of it is unreliable. You hardly want to ruin your work thanks to some dude on the internet who just makes it up as he goes along.

If you have reached the stage of writing a shooting script, you might like to check this for certain in reference manuals. FantasySciFi tends to spout off the top of his head and much of it is unreliable. You hardly want to ruin your work thanks to some dude on the internet who just makes it up as he goes along.
That coming from someone with no credentials. Who claims "editor" as title but who has responses riddled with typos, misspelled words, and other errors of fact. I base much of my knowledge on having worked and taught in the area as well as having actual productions and works in production, both of a feature and series nature. Much of my information comes from David Trottier's Screenwriting Bible (and other industry sources). I don't suppose you've read it. So just who again are you? Oh yeah, some troll off the Internet (should be capitalized, editor) who just drones on about his outdated software. Your advice is as outdated as your software.

This question is a production issue, not a shooting script issue. Screenwriters do not care if it's shot in a studio or green screen facility. Having worked as an AD and having had to schedule locations, set up shoot boards, I think I can answer that with some degree of understanding. Do you even have IMDb credit? (Oh, IMDb stands for "Internet Movie Database". I figure your old browser, old ideas, you probably didn't know that.)

-- Stop laughing your ass off there, Sweetie. I know you are!

That coming from someone with no credentials. Who claims "editor" as title but who has responses riddled with typos, misspelled words, and other errors of fact. I base much of my knowledge on having worked and taught in the area as well as having actual productions and works in production, both of a feature and series nature. Much of my information comes from David Trottier's Screenwriting Bible (and other industry sources). I don't suppose you've read it. So just who again are you? Oh yeah, some troll off the Internet (should be capitalized, editor) who just drones on about his outdated software. Your advice is as outdated as your software.

This question is a production issue, not a shooting script issue. Screenwriters do not care if it's shot in a studio or green screen facility. Having worked as an AD and having had to schedule locations, set up shoot boards, I think I can answer that with some degree of understanding. Do you even have IMDb credit? (Oh, IMDb stands for "Internet Movie Database". I figure your old browser, old ideas, you probably didn't know that.)

-- Stop laughing your ass off there, Sweetie. I know you are!

Sir, I am fully aware of my fading eyesight and do not claim to be some sort of Messianic figure with all the answers. What you seem to fail to understand is that this person has moved way ahead on his project and it is IMPORTANT to him and his career. Taking advice from some guy who's juvenile behaviour in filling this site with ad hominem attacks and whose creativity extends little beyond spouting FUCK every few words is not sensible.

I also find you claims to be teaching both far fetched and disturbing and highly unlikely. The idea that a college would use public finds to pay the salary of some git to stand in front of students and puke out FUCK every few words seems beyond the credibility of even the most screenplay plot. Clearly you are no more than some sort of ignorant Walter Mitty.

For something this important, he should refer to something or someone reputable, who knows at least SOMETHING about what his subject.

That's sweet. Thank you for a very moving diatribe. Best wishes.

Why bother to go on a site, largely dealing with reviewing screenplays if you can't handle criticism?

At least you have an appropriate username - behave like this and the idea of your screenplays ever being produced will certainly remain a total fantasy.

Back