• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Robert McKee on Big Think - must see

Fantastic interview with screenwriting guru Robert McKee.

http://bigthink.com/ideas/19640

Best quote I walked away with. He mentions Stanislavski -- "You have to figure out if you're in love with the art in yourself or yourself in the art."

The entire interview is transcribed below the video:

Stanislavski, the great acting teacher once said: “You have to figure out whether you’re in love with the art in yourself, or yourself in the art.” And too many people go into film, especially, or television because they are in love with the idea of themselves in the art. They want to be in the movies, they want to be in TV, or even in the theater, or whatever. When their natural talents and interests lie elsewhere. So, that’s a critical choice as to which medium you choose because it has to pair up with what really interests you.

Watch. Listen. Learn. :yes:

Last edited:
I liked the bit about how story can be danced or mimed- literacy is not critical. It's good to know that it will take 10 scripts to make a decent one. He really hates M. Night Shyamalan. :hmm:

Yeah, not every thing he says rings 100% for me and everyone will take away something that another person might not, but he's got some interesting bits to share, whether you imagine yourself getting into the "biz" or simply making indie films as a hobby.

I'd like to read his book at some point.

Back