175 Photos of Day taken at Night

Funny. I was just looking at Berthold Steinhilber's book Ghost Towns of the American West. He's a master of long exposure light painting.

Wow. That's really freakin' cool. I can't believe these cameras are able to pick up even the darkest areas...it seems like there would be no color info there...even with uber-long exposure times...but man, that's cool.

Some really good photo's - Thanks for sharing :) Good old Gizmodo to pick up some great photo shots.

Wow. That's really freakin' cool. I can't believe these cameras are able to pick up even the darkest areas...it seems like there would be no color info there...even with uber-long exposure times...but man, that's cool.

I think they had to have moonlight to get it to that level of brightness. You can see it mentioned occasionally in the descriptions.

Those are pretty incredible. I can't believe they were taken at night. Makes anything I've ever taken at night look utterly ridiculous. :)

I used to get something a little similar, but much darker, using a DVX on 1/3 shutter speed.

You could point it at an area that was completely dark to the naked eye -and it'd pick up a wealth of detail you'd never have guessed was there.

I understand moving film can't duplicate this, but I'd like to explore similar areas on video cameras.

What's the best cam for low level light?

I'm going to be trying this with a band. They want to be standing in the middle of a normally really busy street with nobody else around, so if we set up at 4 AM and they're really still we might pull it off haha.

You could do something similar with video, but lot's of motion blur. Set your shutter rate to 6 or 12 and record at 24fps... Lots of motion blur, but it's "stylized" haha. Sadly, unless you do live actor stop motion, you couldn't do quite the same.

How unfortunate.

If long exposure is used well it can create an amazing and beautiful effect, but these photographers just seem to have used it as a gimmick.

Thought I would try this out. These were all taken at about midnight. They turned out really grainy and I dont know why. Im a noob to photography.

photostream

photostream

Thought I would try this out. These were all taken at about midnight. They turned out really grainy and I dont know why. Im a noob to photography.

its cause your iso is at like 6400... manually adjust it down to around 200 and the shot will take a crap load longer... but it will work...

I think they had to have moonlight to get it to that level of brightness. You can see it mentioned occasionally in the descriptions.
yes and no... in some shots the moonlight will create the effect of light... but on some shots were you see blues and oranges... thats the sun just barely creeping over the horizon... it may have been gone for an hour or so... but it still has light rays that can be seen with a decent dslr camera over a period of a few minutes...

How unfortunate.

If long exposure is used well it can create an amazing and beautiful effect, but these photographers just seem to have used it as a gimmick.
i dont understand your disrespect towards some one learning something new and playing with it for awhile... its just like the fad of HDR's ... they were used and played out because it was fun to do... but it doesnt hurt anything to learn ...

anyways... i cant find any of the real long 3 minute shots we did while i was in the desert... might have been on my photobucket account which is dead hahaha... this is an example of a few short ones i did just to try and test the censor on the camera

my favorite
3931820632_2e0078a749_z.jpg

this one was of some friends drifting... couldnt get the ghost effect that i wanted cause cops showed up but i was wanting to get a second shot of his car just parked right there were the lines are... but it never happened
3516520163_ec6210f4cf_z.jpg

very short exposure... kind of grainy... and you can see that its hard for my old 1dmarkii to focus at night... hahahahaah
3886398285_9a989a8416_z.jpg

well this is another version of the long exposure at night... (just not long enough to create a daylight effect) but then turned into time lapse...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-XWiPI9MJw

i might have to try doing 1 minute exposures next time and get a time lapse out of that... anyone done this... just curious how it would look... i know the joshua tree video is that way... but the exposures still arent into the minutes because the stars dont turn into streaks...

Last edited:
i might have to try doing 1 minute exposures next time and get a time lapse out of that... anyone done this... just curious how it would look... i know the joshua tree video is that way... but the exposures still arent into the minutes because the stars dont turn into streaks...

This is pretty amazing. How can I do time lapse on my canon T2i? Would the battery go dead? Is there an AC adapter for the T2i?

This is pretty amazing. How can I do time lapse on my canon T2i? Would the battery go dead? Is there an AC adapter for the T2i?

i do it buy stop watch and a remote trigger...

kid you not... hahahahah its a long process...

or if i am feeling lazy hahahahh i set up the camera with all the settings i want manually... then tell the camera to take a picture after ten seconds of delay... and hook up my remote to keep taking pictures over and over...

i am sure you can find a decent remote out there for the t2i... or just do it manually... just remember that every time you touch your camera ... even if its actually mounted down tight on a tripod... when you push that button to take the picture... it will shake... and the act of the mirror fliping up and down in side the camera makes it shake too...

so the less you touch it the better... i might have to try some stuff tonight... i really miss photography...

anyone else want to try this... post up... it just got dark here a few hours ago... so there should be no sun on the horizon to give me off colors... hahahahahah

You need an intervalometer. It's a little remote that plugs in the camera and you can set how often to take a picture. The cheap ones are like $50.

Since the screen is off while you're taking pictures, you might be able to last all night... maybe. A battery grip helps, and I have seen someone with a power adapter where the cord just hangs out the bottom of the battery door. Not sure where he got it though.

Back