• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

question

I've got about 7 different shots. Really short, quick ones. (Set out as shooting script btw)
Should i just use 7 "cut to's" or a "sequence of shots" numbered 1-7 or something?

It sounds like a sequence, so, label them A-F like:

SERIES OF SHOTS - INSERT WHAT THE SHOTS DETAIL

A)

B)

etc.

Admittedly, this is spec script format, but it should help.

I've got about 7 different shots. Really short, quick ones. (Set out as shooting script btw)
Should i just use 7 "cut to's" or a "sequence of shots" numbered 1-7 or something?

My sense is that in the shooting script you would simply number each of them as individual slug lines because the producer or assistant director will need to schedule those shots. Typically a "cut to" is implied in many modern scripts. If you need a "fade" or different transition, that would be indicated.

In spec scripts, I've seen them lettered or numbered. In shooting scripts, they are lettered. This allows for later revisions.

1 SERIES OF SHOTS - IN THE CITY

1A Man standing at crosswalk waiting for the light.

1B Man is walking past store and sees woman dressing a manikin

1aC Woman drops purse. Man picks it up and hands it to her. *

FADE TO:

1C Man nears outdoor cafe where an attractive woman is sitting

2 EXT. CAFE - DAY

Man meets up with attractive woman and they kiss.

The * indicates a change. the 1aC means the scene was added to the script.

In some productions they also have a camera script when a team of cameras are being used.

Last edited:
Practices and conventions can differ slightly between TV and motion pictures. And, unfortunately, even between production companies.

1. If you are the producer/director, write it in the way that is clear for you in visualizing and executing the shots.

2. If you are writing this for a production company, check with them for how they want it formatted.

3. If you are writing this to send to someone for consideration, send a spec script, not a shooting script. In the case of a spec script, the consideration is dialogue.

3a. If there is dialogue involved, by all means give each a separate slugline. You don't need a CUT TO:.

3b. If it is just a sequence of shots, then "SERIES OF SHOTS - ..." with numbered or lettered scenes works. (Letters are preferred since the scenes get numbered in production).

Back