Home
Your Ad Here

Go Back   IndieTalk - Indie Film Forum > The Biz > Hollywood

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2019, 04:07 PM   #16
pedramyz
Basic Member
 
pedramyz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Tehran - Iran
Posts: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroLimit View Post
Of course I do. I'm not a woman. So how can I figure out what a woman does to be attractive? Impossible - at least for me. So yes, I do need a reference.
It's not too late. You can still list a movie
I think the problem is you are not giving us enough clues to help you with this :

Quote:
I want the actress to be sexy because of her character developpement mainly rather than her physical beauty.
Then you say this :

Quote:
An AROUSING female character to be clear.
As I told, the sexiest chick. I want her to be attractive to almost all men she meets in te movie.. A kind of "femme fatale".
Then :

Quote:
I'm not a woman. So how can I figure out what a woman does to be attractive?
This one isn't really relevant to what you've previously asked.

So there is some ambiguity to what you're looking for exactly. Are you expecting your character to become more and more attractive as she goes through a certain journey? or do you want your character to be attractive from the get go? If the former is your goal then you need to give us more information about your story, if the latter is what you're going for, then you can describe her as someone attractive and later on you can show all men in your story finding her attractive through their dialogues, descriptions, reactions,... .

Last edited by pedramyz; 03-03-2019 at 04:09 PM.
pedramyz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today   #1A
film guy
Basic Member
 
Posts: 17

 
Old 03-03-2019, 06:03 PM   #17
ZeroLimit
Basic Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Africa
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedramyz View Post

This one isn't really relevant to what you've previously asked.

So there is some ambiguity to what you're looking for exactly. Are you expecting your character to become more and more attractive as she goes through a certain journey? or do you want your character to be attractive from the get go? If the former is your goal then you need to give us more information about your story, if the latter is what you're going for, then you can describe her as someone attractive and later on you can show all men in your story finding her attractive through their dialogues, descriptions, reactions,... .
Sorry for confusing you. Here are few more details.

I aldreay wrote how attractive she is. Now, what I need to start doing is writing scenes that develop that part of her so the audience can clearly see & feel it.
I'm gonna take an example. So, in "bound", a movie directed by The Wachowski Brothers, there is a women called Violet. She is just "wow" and everyone in the movie (men & women) just fell for her. Every single thing she does develop this part of her (the way she speaks, the way she walks, the way she stares at people, the way she dresses… everything)
This is the kind of character I want and now I need to write down all those details.
Of course I can just use that character (Violet) as inspiration to write mine. But it would be so much better to have few more inspirations. This way, I can see the character from many angles. I think It's better!

So, I need more movies with characters like Violet. I hope I made it clear enough for you. Let me know.
Many thanks again!
ZeroLimit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 07:18 PM   #18
WalterB
Basic Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Rotterdam Area, The Netherlands
Posts: 3,705
1) Don't complain about complaints when your first line of text sounds like a dry humper.

2) Writing that like that seems to show you need start to observe the world with your upperbrain.

Seriously: I'm partly joking and partly not.
It takes empathy and a sense of nuance to see and imagine the subtleness that can complete your character. Just going in with blazing guns will result in a flat sexist character that was clearly written by a man as a fantasy for men.

I'm sure you can do better than that.

BBfilms was not trying to stop you. She was pointing you towards some valid points that can save you from terrible writing.
The 'at least she is funny' is also not cool. Watch more movies: it is a bully line.
I'm sure you can also do better than that.

There must be women you've met that you found attractive and not just for their physique, but also how they talk, laugh, think, move. Make her human.

The Desperado scene shows a few things:
- yes, she looks good, at least to me, but that is not the (whole) point
- the way she dresses fits the location, yet is kind of 'sexy cool'
- it is the car crash that indications that other men are distracted by her (she did not do anything)
- she ignores the cat callers.
Conclusion:
independant, confident woman

- she looks down 'shy' for a moment: subtle not subtle flirting (yet it serves the purpose to contrast with her surprised and fearfull expression as well when she sees the guns)
- she is not in shock and helps Antonio.
Conclusion:
independant, confident woman, but not 'cold' and she has seen blood before.
Conclusion 2:
attractiveness to a person is shown through actions by others.

The character you are looking for does depend on the context of the script. You can make it hyperbolic insane and let cars crash in every scene.
Or is it not about being wanted by everyone?
If just one person needs to fall in love with her it is not just about her, but about chemistry.
In that aspect I thought that the moment when Cruise and Cruz (read this aloud ) fall in love in Vanilla Sky was something I could really feel in my heart. (Sounds cheesy, I don't remember how the scene(s) go, but I do remember I believed the chemistry.)

Watch Lurmann's Romeo + Juliet for the cute scene where they see each other for the first time. It's about chemistry. Not just the actions of 1 person.

Or are you looking for someone who is manipulatively teasing? (For whatever reason.)
Or becoming more confident? (Or evolving from 'wall flower' to 'prom queen'?)

Watch 'Girl with the Pearl Earring' with Scarlett Johanson.
Not just because I think she has a beautiful face.
No, look at how there is chemistry and tension between her and Vermeer (the Dutch painter). (Can't say more without spoiling stuff.)

All the examples above are not 'Violet', but I think it is helpful to study more than just one kind of character type to be able to write better. Characters and relations show through actions between them will define them.
WalterB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 11:52 PM   #19
directorik
IndieTalk's Resident Guru
 
directorik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: hollywood
Posts: 9,593
*

Last edited by directorik; 03-04-2019 at 10:22 AM.
directorik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 12:01 AM   #20
indietalk
IndieTalk Founder
 
indietalk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 11,440
Yeah it's not hard




indietalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 01:49 AM   #21
peacemaker
Basic Member
 
peacemaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 146
Because you referenced Bound, there are some movies that comes to my mind that belongs in the same category as Bound, if that's what you are looking for.

* Basic Instinct
* Wild Things
* Cruel Intentions
peacemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 06:33 AM   #22
ZeroLimit
Basic Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Africa
Posts: 22
Thank you for your suggestions sir!
I'm gonna check them ASAP. I made it clear in my latest answer that I needed to "see the actress from many angles". So, your list is perfect for me


Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterB View Post
1) Don't complain about complaints when your first line of text sounds like a dry humper....
Ok. I was not complaiming. Just making my statement clear for her

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterB View Post
will result in a flat sexist character that was clearly written by a man as a fantasy for men..
That's definitely not the case for me but anyway - what's so wrong with that exactly? Can't I just choose my own audience and my own story?



Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterB View Post
BBfilms was not trying to stop you. She was pointing you towards some valid points that can save you from terrible writing...
I warned BB not to rate MY GOAL. She knowns nothing about the project I'm running. So, I think her "fixing attempt" was highly inappropriate. But whatever, was just making things clear once again and trying to stop a useless debate about what "a movie should look like". I didn't mean to offend her by any means.


P.S: I guessed I didn't need to say that my character is a woman (daughter, member of a gang, employee, a heavy facebooker, has great passion for Egyt history…) It looks like I was wrong. Anyway, I already wrote almost evrery thing I need for now about her. This is the only part I'm missing. So, that's why I tried to post something very clear about my goal.

Many thanks again for your list and stay blessed

Last edited by ZeroLimit; 03-04-2019 at 08:58 AM.
ZeroLimit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 06:35 AM   #23
ZeroLimit
Basic Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Africa
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacemaker View Post
Because you referenced Bound, there are some movies that comes to my mind that belongs in the same category as Bound, if that's what you are looking for.

* Basic Instinct
* Wild Things
* Cruel Intentions
Thanks for your list.
ZeroLimit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 07:23 AM   #24
BBfilms
Basic Member
 
BBfilms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Durham
Posts: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroLimit View Post

Just making my statement clear for her

'will result in a flat sexist character clearly written by a man'


what's so wrong with that exactly? Can't I just choose my own audience and my own story?


I warned BB not to rate MY GOAL. She knowns nothing about the project I'm running. So, I think her "fixing attempt" was highly inappropriate. But whatever, was just making things clear once again and trying to stop useless a debate about what "a movie should look like". I didn't mean to offend her by any means.
and yet your choice of phrasing is STILL offensive, you have a horrible way of talking sexistly and talking down to women... you might want to address that because it will hold you back from progressing in life

1) you don't need to make anything 'clear' for me I am not a blind nor brain dead, believe it or not us women know exactly what 'get hard' mean with out a man feeling the need to explain his sexist comment to us like we are morons

2) 'a flat sexist character' = 'whats wrong with that'... did you legitimately just ask what wrong with being sexist, why not throw in some racism and homophobia to really round out your writing

3) don't you 'warn' me of anything, I am an independent person and don't need your damn permission to be offended by your blatant disrespectful attitude or to raise that point... believe it or not us little women have a right to call you out on your bullshit and you don't get to 'ssshhh' us

the fact that you don't see sexism as an issue, think women need stuff explaining to them and assume you can control us says absolutely everything about what kind of person you are... but by all mean write it, no one will buy it and you'll be lucky to find an actress willing to play it and even if you do manage a flat sexist character will garner you nothing but bad critics and 'worst' awards so knock yourself out it wont destroy my career at the end of it
BBfilms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 08:25 AM   #25
Feutus Lapdance
Basic Member
 
Feutus Lapdance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Nederland
Posts: 674
Well...it's true that we don't know much about the project. Could be that he want to have a stereotypical archetype. Not all Indie movies are realistic historical dramas. Could be a comedy making fun of movie cliche.

There is a reason I don't want to watch all of Michael Bay's movies anymore. Seks sells..... Twilight and Fifty Shades of Grey proof that its not only to the male gender....
Feutus Lapdance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 08:51 AM   #26
ZeroLimit
Basic Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Africa
Posts: 22
Hi BB
Glad to see you again.


Quote:
Originally Posted by BBfilms View Post
and yet your choice of phrasing is STILL offensive, you have a horrible way of talking sexistly and talking down to women... you might want to address that because it will hold you back from progressing in life

1) you don't need to make anything 'clear' for me I am not a blind nor brain dead, believe it or not us women know exactly what 'get hard' mean with out a man feeling the need to explain his sexist comment to us like we are morons

2) 'a flat sexist character' = 'whats wrong with that'... did you legitimately just ask what wrong with being sexist, why not throw in some racism and homophobia to really round out your writing

3) don't you 'warn' me of anything, I am an independent person and don't need your damn permission to be offended by your blatant disrespectful attitude or to raise that point... believe it or not us little women have a right to call you out on your bullshit and you don't get to 'ssshhh' us

the fact that you don't see sexism as an issue, think women need stuff explaining to them and assume you can control us says absolutely everything about what kind of person you are... but by all mean write it, no one will buy it and you'll be lucky to find an actress willing to play it and even if you do manage a flat sexist character will garner you nothing but bad critics and 'worst' awards so knock yourself out it wont destroy my career at the end of it
I highy appreciate that you take advantage of your right to speak. It's so great.
By now, I understand (from your persective) that I'm a sexist + blind to the modern world + have the mentality of a 13 year old. That's okay
Still, I have something in my childish mind to say. Can I?

So, how do you regard the glass excatly? As half full? Or half empty? You get to choose BB. The sight is yours as well as the choice. It looks like being a woman (or strong woman or modern woman…) is not enough for you. You also need to see it in others eyes. Heavy load you created for yourself my dear.
So yelling at me is perfectly useless. Trust me or not, this is not about me and certainly not my "phrasing". It's all about YOURSELF

Look at what you are doing here for example. You are succesfully turning a simple "character writing thread" into a kinda feminist war or something. That's okay too!


Quote:
Originally Posted by BBfilms View Post
why not throw in some racism and homophobia to really round out your writing
Great question. I dont need such characters for this story but I see no reason not to use it appropriately for an other story. As long as te racist or the homophobe is the vilain or the director/ writer left "instructions" all along the movie to clearly show the audience that the homophobe or the racist is not to be imitated by any means. I think done with way, it can still add value to this world. Let's say it's a bad person or it's a bad part character.
It's all about the story. Remember filmaking is an Art. So the only limit is the artist creativity.

Plus, you don't fix an injustice by hidding it. You find a poper angle, face it and "kill it".

Ok. Thanks again and talk soon

Last edited by ZeroLimit; 03-04-2019 at 11:42 AM.
ZeroLimit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 08:55 AM   #27
ZeroLimit
Basic Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Africa
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feutus Lapdance View Post
Well...it's true that we don't know much about the project. Could be that he want to have a stereotypical archetype. Not all Indie movies are realistic historical dramas. Could be a comedy making fun of movie cliche.

There is a reason I don't want to watch all of Michael Bay's movies anymore. Seks sells..... Twilight and Fifty Shades of Grey proof that its not only to the male gender....
Thank you sir!
I tried to say it but you're doing so much better than me
ZeroLimit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 09:04 AM   #28
BBfilms
Basic Member
 
BBfilms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Durham
Posts: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroLimit View Post
Hi BB
Glad to see you again.




I highy appreciate that you take advantage of your right to speak. It's so great.
By now, I understand (from your persective) that I'm a sexist + blind to the modern world + have the mentality of a 13 year old. That's okay
Still, I have something in my childish man to say. Can I?

So, how do you regard the glass excatly? As half full? Or half empty? You get to choose BB. The sight is yours as well as the choice. It looks like being a woman (or strong woman or modern woman…) is not enough for you. You also need to see it in others eyes. Heavy load you created for yourself my dear.
So yelling at me is perfectly useless. Trust me or not, this is not about me and certainly not my "phrasing". It's all about YOURSELF

Look at what you are doing here for example. You are succesfully turning a simple "character writing thread" into a kinda feminist war or something. That's okay too!
an your still offensively talking down, are you really that incapable of seeing how ridiculous you sound?

you also don't know me at all or you would know I am the least 'feminist' woman around often advocating more for men's rights but as a member of this planet I do still expect basic HUMAN respect which is something you clearly lack because you see women as lesser than yourself and apparently having a vagina automatically makes us here for your pleasure... sorry I fail to be arousing to you

and yes this is 100% about you damn phrasing, are you that unobservant you honestly can see how opening a thread with 'every time you remind about her performnce, you immediately get hard' or patronizing someone as soon as you find out they are a woman with things like 'MY LADY' or saying things like 'I warned her' is entirely an issue with YOU?
there's no way to flip this to me being crazy but nice attempt a gas-lighting you must be a pleasure in real life, I've never had this issue of being talked to like this with anyone else bar one person and he went to jail for domestic abuse ffs
BBfilms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 09:41 AM   #29
mlesemann
IndieTalk Moderator
 
mlesemann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Lakewood, NJ
Posts: 1,995
While this is getting a bit more heated than I think is really useful, I DO think that what you're looking for is far more related to the male gaze in film than to anything that real women do.
__________________
www.maralesemann.com
mlesemann is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 11:47 AM   #30
WalterB
Basic Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Rotterdam Area, The Netherlands
Posts: 3,705
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlesemann View Post
While this is getting a bit more heated than I think is really useful, I DO think that what you're looking for is far more related to the male gaze in film than to anything that real women do.
+1
WalterB is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:15 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.


©IndieTalk