Home
Your Ad Here

Go Back   IndieTalk - Indie Film Forum > The Biz > Distro/Marketing

Old 02-24-2019, 11:20 PM   #16
payperfilm
Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by molsmith View Post
Amazon just removed two of my most viewed films. Yup, the normal vague non-specific answers to my question of why. So I put one of them on filmhub.com and guess what, they've put it onto Amazon Prime US.
Have you or can you ask Filmhub what their take is on Amazon situation? I assume at some point they actually talk to a human being who might shed some light on how filmmakers should proceed in their future submissions.
payperfilm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today   #1A
film guy
Basic Member

Old 02-25-2019, 01:35 AM   #17
Blade_Jones
Basic - Premiere Expired

Amazon only gives a generic response.... https://videocentral.amazon.com/home...icId=201986500
These vague / broad guidelines enables them to play the role of activists / social justice warriors / PC scolds with minimal public backlash (from the right) for acting like George Orwellian thought police.
Blade_Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 11:21 AM   #18
molsmith
Basic Member

I did not tell filmhub Amazon took my film off. i only said it was not live on Amazon. I wanted to see what happens. Amazon may yet ban me. We'll see. I think its high time Indie film makers bandied together and create their own streaming site where subscriptions paid iare shared out according which of our film are watched most, after running costs are deducted of course. Anyone interested ?mol
molsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 01:23 PM   #19
Blade_Jones
Basic - Premiere Expired

Quote:
I did not tell filmhub Amazon took my film off. i only said it was not live on Amazon.
Did you change the title of your film? I wonder if that would help.
Old 02-25-2019, 02:25 PM   #20
molsmith
Basic Member

No. Same title. The odd thing is, I have a german version (same film) on Amazon. Exactly the sane as the english version. Its still on there! mol
Old 02-25-2019, 06:59 PM   #21
FreddyLongSongs
Basic Member

My short film, An Hour Past Her Time, is still up for now.

Got to remember that it is expensive to store a lot of the content thatís being uploaded constantly.

It might help that I have a Prime membership. Hmm
FreddyLongSongs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 08:34 PM   #22
Blade_Jones
Basic - Premiere Expired

Quote:
Too soon to say. So far they have put it on two streaming sites. They have a page on their site of channels they try. You can take a look orcontact them. www.filmhub.com
Just submitted my film to FilmHub. Thanks for the tip! There's a ton of sites that they distribute to. Most won't amount to a hill of beans but we'll see what my first payment looks like. If it goes well then I'll add my short in a couple of months when it's done.
Quote:
Got to remember that it is expensive to store a lot of the content that’s being uploaded constantly.
The fact that they require captions helps to act as an extra hurdle to stem the flow.

Last edited by Blade_Jones; 02-25-2019 at 08:38 PM.
Old 02-25-2019, 08:43 PM   #23
molsmith
Basic Member

Amazon needs captions too. I do my own, sub-titles for other languages I pay rev.com who are cheaper than most. German, Spanish are best. You can do Chinese (big market) but lots of invisible cultural hurdles with China. Okay with nudity but not national/political stuff! Japan? Forget it if any nudity! Filmhub is new to me so I have no experience yet. Hope me small experience helps. Shorts dont sell that well, I find.
Old 02-25-2019, 08:52 PM   #24
Blade_Jones
Basic - Premiere Expired

Quote:
Shorts dont sell that well, I find.
My short has a tiny budget of about $900 for a Sony A6300 camera and miscellaneous stuff like light gels, hair and makeup products. Friends are doing all of the acting. So I don't have much to overcome! I'm hopeful that conservative radio shows and websites mention my short. It's very politically charged! I'll release it on a day when there's no political news.
Old 02-25-2019, 08:55 PM   #25
molsmith
Basic Member

I spend about £7000 per feature film not including tech stuff: actors pay, costume, location, food, travel etc., I never make money but lose many thousands. www.onviewfilms.net
Old 03-01-2019, 08:03 PM   #26
MBiker
Basic Member

Dear Readers: I am a Long-Time Lurker, First-Time Poster. My Late-Father Steve (Vladimir) was a Holocaust Survivor in Ukraine. He told us many stories about Anti-Nazi Resistance Fighters in his hometown of Vinnitsa.

In 2011, our Family of 3 created WWII Documentary Film about those Resistance Fighters, ''The Brave Fighters." We spent thousands of our own dollars to finance the film. My Mother Roxanne was the Host and my Late-Father Steve was the Guest. I (Edward) video-recorded and edited the interview. I set up the studio lights and created all 250+ special effects. Over 133,000 people have viewed our film on YouTube. Several years ago, we launched the film on Amazon CreateSpace (DVD on Demand) and Prime Video Direct. Amazon Viewers have rated it 4 stars (average).

Last month, during the "Amazon Purge", they have permanently removed our film. The decision is final, appeal is not possible.

Amazon has extinguished the memory of those wonderful Resistance Fighters! Very sad.

MBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 09:54 PM   #27
molsmith
Basic Member

I believe some kind of commercial decision is taking place with the distribution of movies. It is as if, you can no longer find anything on the internet as a distribution platform, be it from movies, to music, or education. Everything has started to go the way of folding in distribution of all things before the the Internet cam into being. I also think, there are thousands / millions of people, looking to find real content. Stuff that does not fit in with the normal.

Let me know about your film when wiped from Amazon. I am interested in fighting back. Mol Smith: molsmith@fastmail.fm

Time for change, me thinks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBiker View Post
Dear Readers: I am a Long-Time Lurker, First-Time Poster. My Late-Father Steve (Vladimir) was a Holocaust Survivor in Ukraine. He told us many stories about Anti-Nazi Resistance Fighters in his hometown of Vinnitsa.

In 2011, our Family of 3 created WWII Documentary Film about those Resistance Fighters, ''The Brave Fighters." We spent thousands of our own dollars to finance the film. My Mother Roxanne was the Host and my Late-Father Steve was the Guest. I (Edward) video-recorded and edited the interview. I set up the studio lights and created all 250+ special effects. Over 133,000 people have viewed our film on YouTube. Several years ago, we launched the film on Amazon CreateSpace (DVD on Demand) and Prime Video Direct. Amazon Viewers have rated it 4 stars (average).

Last month, during the "Amazon Purge", they have permanently removed our film. The decision is final, appeal is not possible.

Amazon has extinguished the memory of those wonderful Resistance Fighters! Very sad.

Old 03-05-2019, 01:56 AM   #28
The Lone Banana
Basic Member

Why does "Blade Jones" blame "Social Justice Warriors" for his movies being removed from Amazon? I guess he's one of those "Social Injustice Defenders". And why doesn't he accept their own reason: that his movies weren't making Amazon any money? Poor snowflake!
The Lone Banana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 02:24 AM   #29
Blade_Jones
Basic - Premiere Expired

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lone Banana View Post
Why does "Blade Jones" blame "Social Justice Warriors" for his movies being removed from Amazon? I guess he's one of those "Social Injustice Defenders". And why doesn't he accept their own reason: that his movies weren't making Amazon any money? Poor snowflake!
Uhhh You Hillary supporters are the PC snowflakes who need safe spaces when you don't like other people's free speech. Also where in this thread does it say that my movie wasn't making any money?
Old 03-05-2019, 05:52 AM   #30
WalterB
Basic Member

That must be February 31st 2020

There is always political news. And just when you think there isn't, so late news will come in, lol.

IT is not really a place for politics, but in this thread alone we have an anti-nazi-film, a diverse film and a "possible "sexist", promoting "racial stereotypes", "hate speech", topless nudity, glorifies drug use, has abusing language, promotes "illegal behavior" movie" that got removed.
Hillary losing does not seem a common denominator here.

(As for free speech: look up how fosta/sesta are stiffling art forms (tumbler/patreon removing accounts with nipples), but hardly tackle sex trafficing.)

Maybe Amazon is really looking at the cost of hosting vs revenue. Even if a movie makes you money, it can lose them money. Actually Amazon is a champion in losing money. Without their hosting service they would lose billions each year.
Or maybe it is about engagement: people not finishing a movie AND leaving Amazon instead of watching something else. Stats based decisions can be that cold.
WalterB is offline   Reply With Quote