• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Instrumental Art Music Video

Greetings all!

I just finished the first music video from my album, Transmogrify. The song is "The Space Between". It's an instrumental song in the vein of NIN. The video is a surreal art piece directed by tromp l'oeil painter, Anthony Adcock, and shot and cut by me. It IS suitable for work:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvCt5ZW1y20

Thanks for checking it out, and I look forward to hearing your criticisms and comments!
Sincerely,
-Matthew J Van Howe

Greetings all!

I just finished the first music video from my album, Transmogrify. The song is "The Space Between". It's an instrumental song in the vein of NIN. The video is a surreal art piece directed by tromp l'oeil painter, Anthony Adcock, and shot and cut by me. It IS suitable for work:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvCt5ZW1y20

Thanks for checking it out, and I look forward to hearing your criticisms and comments!
Sincerely,
-Matthew J Van Howe

Firstly, congratulations on cutting together your vid.

As the artist, if you're happy with it, then you're happy with it. Personally, I would've liked to have seen a lot more going on.

On a technical level, I'd talk about framing, framing in post, colour correction, focus at certain points, colouring and a whole heap of tricks but that would just be me. If you're happy with it, then you're happy with it as you're the artist.

Firstly, congratulations on cutting together your vid.

As the artist, if you're happy with it, then you're happy with it. Personally, I would've liked to have seen a lot more going on.

On a technical level, I'd talk about framing, framing in post, colour correction, focus at certain points, colouring and a whole heap of tricks but that would just be me. If you're happy with it, then you're happy with it as you're the artist.

Thanks for checking it out. When you say a lot more going on, are you talking plot? I could see that it is a little slow. What were your thoughts on color correction? Do you have any suggestions or recommendations?

Thanks for your time!

Thanks for checking it out. When you say a lot more going on, are you talking plot? I could see that it is a little slow. What were your thoughts on color correction? Do you have any suggestions or recommendations?

Thanks for your time!

I'm a beginner but if you want my thoughts, I think of colouring etc... as a series of questions. What do I want to communicate, how much risk do I want to take, is this for me or am I designing it for an audience etc... and of course, where is it going to be played? And my stuff is pretty unconventional to the point one guy on here told me it was amateurish and generally pretty bad. But that's art for you:

A couple of examples of stuff I've directed to give you an idea (and so you can see my level):

https://vimeo.com/paulrwalker/review/84971935/ccf932163f - Rasta music video coloured for the Rasta religion (including smoke etc...) with Rasta religion words and symbols requested by the client.

https://vimeo.com/paulrwalker/review/109097761/10079af22a - the dancer surrounded by an ethereal light - glowing. The concept is the dancer as an angel.

I'm just starting out and have a ton to learn but if I were to suggest something, I would ask where you are going in your imagination. What do you want to communicate? Do you want fast cuts, a smooth camera, a jiggly camera, a sky so beautiful that it will make you cry or just a simple, hippyish, shoot with a girl on a beach. What do you want to do?

My recommendation is simply to ask the question: What do you want to do? Everything for me starts from this question.

Last edited:
Cool. I was looking for more specifics that you had in mind for my music video, but I get what you're talking about.

I checked out your stuff btw. I love your camera work in the dancer video. Nice job.

Thanks for taking the time to check it out and also offer your suggestions.

Not bad! Some really nice shots in there, and I liked the shifting colors at around 1:00. Looked a little lo-fi, but that might be youtube artifacts and looked appropriate anyway. I think some faster edits/cuts would suit the song a little bit better.

Thanks for the feedback, Josh! I'm glad that color shift worked. I was wondering about how that would read. I totally see where you're coming from with the faster cuts. It was a tough edit with the material we had available. Thanks for checking it out, and I've got another video out now that I'm actually singing in, so that's crazy for me seeing how I'm always the one shooting...
-Matt

hi there,

i'm looking to find a cameraman to make a tightly scripted music video. It could take anything from 2 to 3 to 6 afternoons

Where do you think i should make this request for a cameraman in 'music videos' and maybe some forum that deals in people offerring their services

and most of all how do you create a post. Do you have to pay for that?

matt

I personally liked all three music videos each one is very different to the other, but the instrumental track reminds me of where I am now, close to a dry desert like park with sand i liked the idea of the mirage with her dreaming of a beach with a sea or ocean but instead just more sand and forest.

The Rafra video was also good again i liked the song and some of the backgrounds with the newspaper walls and the concept of filming against the white light with the ballet dancer was very striking and I got the point for me I can't compare but I am not a film maker just a fan :)

Back