Has anyone gone to Vidcon?

For myself, I don't watch Youtube series, but I don't watch TV anymore either, though I do go to movies.

If you're saying that Youtube series don't make money, then I would agree with you, because I've been saying that. Of course, films don't make money either, but, unlike Youtube, a movie can hit it big. Youtube, as of now, can also do it, BUT only if it gets made into a movie or TV series.

For 1 million views, that would be $1,000 a month.

Per video. Most youtubers don't make just one video a month.

Just the one? That's it?

Okay, how about the ones YOU watch? What ad supported web
series do you watch on a regular basis? Do you watch every episode?
I'm trying to understand how a series can get close to one million
views. I can't seem to find anyone (but you) who actually watch Youtube
shows.

I know several people who produce shows and win awards and go to
things like Vidcon, but I don't know people who watch a lot of Youtube
shows. Your'e friends watch one. Which ones to you watch?

Is anyone watching web series?

That's just the only one that I know of that my friends and I all watch. I watch every video by everyone I'm subscribed to. Some off the top of my head are; RocketJump, RoosterTeeth, Collegehumor, Barely Political, Bart Baker, Epic Meal Time, Egoraptor, Norm MacDonald, Dorkly, Film Riot, Cyanide and Happiness.

I know there's more that I'm subscribed to that don't really release stuff on a regular basis, like GoodCopsTV, who made that Western web-series they were promoting here on Indietalk

Per video. Most youtubers don't make just one video a month.
Do you know of any youtubers making several videos a month who are
getting one million views per video? Do they get one million views per
month?

I've got a nice list from mussonman to get started with. Do you have
anything for me. I'd love to see some Youtube successes.

month?

If I may ask, what's your point?

A webseries may be a good means for an aspiring mogul to get experience, but I'm not sure if it's the best way.

The Young Turks are probably getting north of 1million views per month, but that's spread across a lot of content. They put up many videos each day, as well as doing live broadcasts... but they operate like a new organization.

If I may ask, what's your point?
I've been in the entertainment business my entire working life.
I plan to stay in it. I'm curious about how the business is changing.
My point in asking about what people are watching is to learn and
grow.

You don't watch TV and you don't watch shows on YouTube. I'm
in the TV business and I watch a lot. I'm very different that you;
it is essential to me to know what's happening in my business. I
don't watch enough on YouTube to stay on top of what's going on
there. As more people like mussonman watch shows on YouTube
I feel it's essential to know what people are watching.

I've been in the entertainment business my entire working life.
I plan to stay in it. I'm curious about how the business is changing.
My point in asking about what people are watching is to learn and
grow.

You don't watch TV and you don't watch shows on YouTube. I'm
in the TV business and I watch a lot. I'm very different that you;
it is essential to me to know what's happening in my business. I
don't watch enough on YouTube to stay on top of what's going on
there. As more people like mussonman watch shows on YouTube
I feel it's essential to know what people are watching.

Good idea - I've done a lot of research into this, as you know, so, yes, the internet is changing the business. I have, however, not seen any hard evidence that people make big money, just anecdotal ones. That said, this anecdotal evidence is giving me reason to rethink my position.

I'm also wondering if a ULB web series is a good way to get my feet wet.

There are many Youtubers who make tons of money.

The thing is however, most of them are not simply just guys or gals talking to a camera by themselves, many of the top Youtubers are basically production companies who have several full time employees on their payroll, and ad money from Youtube isn't their only income, just one of many.

According to this 2012 Wired article from 2012, Rooster Teeth work out of a 20,000 square feet production space and employ 38 people. By now that number could be higher.

This article mentions some of their multiple revenue streams.

CEO Matt Hullum said in a recent interview with Re/code that rather than banking only on ad revenue, the company plans at least two potential revenue streams, ranging from ads to shirts to product placement, for each piece of content it produces.

They are currently raising money for a feature film on indiegogo, and they're on their way to becoming the biggest movie funded in indiegogo history.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/lazer-team-by-rooster-teeth#home

$1,885,270 raised so far from 27,000 individual funders.

Rocket Jump is another one. They've crowdfunded and produced their web show Video Game High School, that is also on Netflix, and the creator Freddie Wong was just a guest on Conan.

PewDiePie, the #1 Youtube star, makes millions every year just from Youtube ads, and he mostly makes his videos by himself.

Don't forget that they don't need 1 million views each video to make a good living. Some sources say that the average CPM can be $7 for every thousand views.

It all depends on the ads before the video. Often, these big youtubers are signed with Multichannel networks, which can contact advertisers directly and guarantee higher rates (though, they take a cut, in exchange for helping with production or finding a larger audience.)

And all the sponsorships that companies like Rooster Teeth and Rocket Jump have in various videos is probably enough to sustain them. I read an interview with the guy from Epic Meal Time where he said T-shirt sales provide them 50% of their income. For a long time Rooster Teeth's DVD sales were sustaining their entire company.

There are many ways to monetize new media, but as always, it starts with having an audience... which takes a lot of consistent hard work and dedication

month?

These are all people that make multiple videos a month with multiple videos with more than 1 million views.

Pewdiepie
TheFineBros
EpicMealTime (more so in their prime) <--- these guys were so successful they now have their own tv show
Smosh
The Slow Mo Guys (they vary with their video output but usually range between 1-6 million hits.
Swoozie
Shane Dawson TV

Just a few, there are a lot more that I don't know about.

Back