Is Inception underrated?

It's rated #13 on the Imdb's top 250 movies of all time. I think that's pretty overrated. It is a very good movie, but I wouldn't put it in my top 30 of all time though, not even close.

Huh. I didn't know that thing about IMDB. I do think that's a little over the top. I just saw a list of the top ten movies of the 2010s so far and it wasn't even mentioned which was part of what motivated me to make that post. As for being a Nolan fanboy, I'm really not. I've only watched the Dark Knight series and Inception, so I wouldn't exactly call myself a fanboy.

My top favorite movie of all time. Gave me a feeling that no other movie has before and one of the reasons I started getting serious about filmmaking.. But I guess that's a really opinionated fact. Looking at it from a critical standpoint, it definitely was trying hard to be an "out of the box" action film. Maybe if it was less about action and thievery and more about all the wonders that could be done within the machine and a dream then it'd be much higher up on the list of great movies.

I find the discussion of what other people think of Nolan or Inception a little strange though - does what other people think really have much bearing on your own judgement of the film?

I especially find the use of the term "fanboy" completely out of place in a discussion like this. It's nothing but an ad hominem way of dismissing or marginalizing opinions you disagree with, or attempting to make your own opinion seem more 'objective' and therefore more valid. If you find someone's enthusiasm for a director or film annoying then just don't engage with them. If you do choose to engage with them then let your argument stand against theirs on it's own merits, and not based on your opinion of whether their enthusiasm is appropriate.
I agree, it's an unfair way to view a film - I'd admit it's even immature.

Even so, I don't think it's unjustifiable. If you are neutral on something, such as Inception, but are constantly exposed to it and forced into discussion of it, it's understandable to grow a dislike for it. When someone is a fan of someone they tend to aggressively defend it (again, understandable), but on the other side of this that becomes tiresome and irritating. Discussions where you say "I'm not a fan of it" are treated as you saying "it is a bad film" and suddenly you find yourself in a position explaining why you dislike the film, and you're no longer neutral on it.

Constant exposure and being forced to defend your neutrality (for want of a better term) on something can make that something a bad experience.

Objectively, I think the film is fine. It is flawed. It is better than most heist/action films. It's not as a clever as some make it out to be.

Personally I feel both of the terms underrated and overrated are only applicable in a subjective way, even taking into account whether a certain website(s) has tallied positive and negative comments, ratings and other elements of review, and whether the overall total is positive or negative - ultimately all that is still subjective as it's a collective subjectivity. Opinion is wrongly identified as fact in some cases but mostly by those opposed to an opinion, and unfortunately sometimes it's both sides who seem to believe their opinion is a set in stone fact and that if more people side with one opinion it must mean that is the complete and utter final say on whose opinion is right.

So for me I look more at my own subjective response to a film when I'm judging it as opposed to looking for others to give me an opinion, and blindly agreeing regardless of whether or not I had an opposing opinion to begin with. That isn't to say I don't look at what other people's responses are and ignore any opposing opinion, it just means that I like to judge based on my own perspective, and if I happen to agree with some of the other person's thoughts then that's fine, and if I don't agree that's fine too. Sadly, society online seems to be too quick sometimes to begin personally attacking someone who has an opposing point of view instead of keeping their criticisms to the subject matter of the discussion, and having a proper discussion even though not all parties might agree. That is where fanboy attacks come into play from both those who are classified as fanboys by others and those who level criticisms at fanboys - it's resorting to personal attacks.

I don't think INCEPTION is underrated, at all. For the record, I really liked it. However, I do think there should have been more scenes of dream convention, like the open stairwell, etc. When I first heard Zimmer's theme, "The Dream Is Collapsing," I was beside myself. Just awesome. I couldn't believe how loud the music mix was for this movie and I was totally digging it.

am I the only one who can't help but think it owes something to The Matrix? Maybe even quite a bit?

I was thinking DREAMSCAPE, but yeah, definitely a lot of MATRIX in there. :lol: Anybody see DREAMSCAPE? One of those 80's movies that I kept going back to the theater for. I'm guessing if I saw it today, snakeman won't look as good as I remember. I wonder why I never see it on TV or Syfy channel?

Anybody see DREAMSCAPE?

I'm surprised no one has done a remake yet.

I'm guessing if I saw it today, snakeman won't look as good as I remember.

You're probably right. But remember that it's from the dreams of a little kid.

Snake_monster_dreamscape.jpg

I wonder why I never see it on TV or Syfy channel?

It's on Amazon Instant Video, if that counts.....

I was thinking DREAMSCAPE, but yeah, definitely a lot of MATRIX in there. :lol: Anybody see DREAMSCAPE? One of those 80's movies that I kept going back to the theater for. I'm guessing if I saw it today, snakeman won't look as good as I remember. I wonder why I never see it on TV or Syfy channel?

Oh, is that right? Yeah, I think I saw it long ago when it was on home video or HBO or whatever. I think we're around the same age, Mike, aren't we? So we were pretty much kids when that came out. It's been on my Netflix watch list. Maybe I should watch it again soon.

Another movie that affected me more and left much more of an impression on my memory (clearly) is Brainstorm (1983). But that wasn't about going into peoples' dreams but into their recorded experiences. Also been a long time, but I remember that being a good flick too.

So, did you like Dreamscape, Josh?

oh, yeah, richy, it's great! again, I'm predisposed to liking films about dreams and/or alternate realities, but it's a lot of fun! I'd also recommend Until The End of the World by Wim Wenders, but that one is kinda hard to find these days.

I don't think I've seen Brainstorm so I'll have to fix that! Similar concept used to pretty good effect in Strange Days.

oh, yeah, richy, it's great! again, I'm predisposed to liking films about dreams and/or alternate realities, but it's a lot of fun! I'd also recommend Until The End of the World by Wim Wenders, but that one is kinda hard to find these days.

I don't think I've seen Brainstorm so I'll have to fix that! Similar concept used to pretty good effect in Strange Days.

Oh yeah! Right, right, Stange Days! I was forgetting about that. Yep. That was a case of "something the same as..., but different," for sure. I think. Been a while since I've seen that one, too.

I had a Nova Dreamer in high school! It's more an exercise tool than the sort of device from the Nova Next article. The new thing is talking about hitting the brain with electricity; the ND just flashes a red light when it detects REM, still leaving it up to you to train yourself that the red light is a cue. I never really used it very well (I don't like sleeping with things on my face), and had much better success with other training/techniques. Oddly, when I was a kid, I had no problem lucid dreaming on my own, it was only that period in high school where I was really interested in it that I had any trouble!

Sleeping with the nova dreamer strapped to my face was a bit of a problem for me too. Although I think with todays technology it could be a lot better. Back then it was a solid square circuit board haha. You could probably have it be more comfortable and bend/flex these days

Back