Marvel will publish Star Wars comics.

Starting in 2015, Marvel Comics will publish stories of the ongoing space saga, taking over the contract from independent Dark Horse. Both Marvel and Lucasfilm are owned by Disney, of course, and, while that makes sense, I'm wondering if that can run afoul of the trust-busters in the federal government. I have, in fact, been wondering how the Department of Justice has been viewing all these purchases by the largest Entertainment Conglomerate on Earth.

Dark Horse has a series on the original version, and I'm going to get the trade paperback (all issues in one graphic novel) when it comes out.

BTW, Dark Horse has been an interesting case study, because the owner scaled up his business from comic-book stores to being a major publisher. He had similar problems with cash flow and other matters, just as George Lucas did, but he took the leap and succeeded where others didn't.

I grew up reading the Marvel Star Wars books back in the early 80s. I liked them, but I haven't gone back to them so I don't know how well they've held up. Dark Horse has done some great stuff over the years with Star Wars (and other books, of course). I still haven't read their adaptation of the original script, but I've been waiting for the Trade. Looks like it just came out today, so next time I'm at a comic shop, I know what I'm picking up! (ha! great minds think alike!)

As far as the justice department, Disney is a large part of the reason our copyright laws are as crazy as they are these days. Unless they buy out the rest of the major studios, I don't think they're going to have any problems. And I won't, unless Galacticus shows up in the next Star Wars movie.

...actually, scratch that, that would be kinda neat!

Last edited:
Back