• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

"Thieves in the Night" Logline

Let me know what you think of this logline:

After a botched bank heist, a band of thieves hijack a van from two nuns and an orphan only to end up trapped in a cat and mouse game with a horde of soul sucking, flesh eating demons in an old country church.

Too long? Too detailed? Not long or detailed enough? Does it portray the High Concept well? Does it entice you to read it?

Poke

2 cents...

Poke said:
Let me know what you think of this logline:

After a botched bank heist, a band of thieves hijack a van from two nuns and an orphan only to end up trapped in a cat and mouse game with a horde of soul sucking, flesh eating demons in an old country church.

Too long? Too detailed? Not long or detailed enough? Does it portray the High Concept well? Does it entice you to read it?

Poke

A logline should rarely be over 60 words so you have a little leeway here. It makes me immediately wonder if you have a main character and if so, why aren't you telling us about him?

i.e., An under appreciated camera man botches a bank heist... etc. etc. etc.

Remember the 4 act structure? Not that I'm saying that it's the END ALL but take those 4 archetype modes and tell us IN A LOGLINE, the hero's journey through every one of those modes in 60 words or less...

ORPHAN
WANDERER
WARRIOR
MARTYR

The center is okay i.e., with a horde of soul sucking, flesh eating demons in an old country church. Now END IT!

i.e., and they must now figure out a way to... You finish it...

PM me if you want or need more details...

filmy

FilmJumper said:
A logline should rarely be over 60 words so you have a little leeway here. It makes me immediately wonder if you have a main character and if so, why aren't you telling us about him?

Honestly, I was going for the single sentence TV Guide version of the logline, but a logline can also be a short (3 sentences or less) summary of the entire script. I sent you a PM with a longer version. One I am not ready to release to the public just yet.

texasvenom said:
alot of butter please

Just make sure you don't spill it on the floor.

Poke

Send me an email...

Poke said:
Honestly, I was going for the single sentence TV Guide version of the logline, but a logline can also be a short (3 sentences or less) summary of the entire script. I sent you a PM with a longer version. One I am not ready to release to the public just yet.

Just make sure you don't spill it on the floor.

Poke

I just tried sending way too much info over in a PM and accidentally closed the window... Lost everything. I even went back to the PM and lost that too. LOL.

I did send you a PM telling me to email me. Send your logline too... Been up for two days so I gotta hit the rack for now but will answer you when I get up tomorrow (if you email me... LOL).

filmy

Isn't "high concept" typically defined as something that can be explained in a log line of hardly any words...

so rather than

"After a botched bank heist, a band of thieves hijack a van from two nuns and an orphan only to end up trapped in a cat and mouse game with a horde of soul sucking, flesh eating demons in an old country church."

it'd be like...

"A band of bumbling thieves fight to escape demons who have trapped them in an old country church"

(Which, by the way, reminds me somehow of 'Dusk til Dawn'... but, you know, with a twist. ;) )

Please do not fight in my thread. It makes me feel dirty for some reason.

Will Vincent said:
Isn't "high concept" typically defined as something that can be explained in a log line of hardly any words...

There's a difference between the logline you mentioned (quick and to the point) and a logline for query letters and Script Submission sites (i.e. Ink Tip and Script Shark). The logline I am trying to refine is the one I want to submit to producers.

Poke

Back