• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Need an opinion on a trailer.

This is fantastic work, though I will offer a couple critiques, because that's what you're asking for.

First of all, I really like that you highlighted the emotional and political depth that exists in the film, as that is something that the studios ignored in their official trailers. That's an important part of the drama, and should've been part of the marketing campaign.

My main critique for you is that this trailer is just too damn long. There were a number of shots that I didn't think we really needed to see, and I think you could shave a full minute off of this version. Also, that's a whole lot of dip-to-blacks. I realize that this is an editing tool that is used with great frequency in modern trailers, but damn, you kinda went overboard with it.

Finally, I'd just like to reiterate that you've done a terrific job. Keep it up. :yes:

good job on making it feel more of a thriller and drama rather then action, but i have to agree for one it is to long. and probably for me. the first 23 seconds seemed like a bunch of different scenes just put together. you kept on changing the story you wanted to showcase. first it was Bucky, then WW2, then the difference in what a hero is, and finally got to captain America.

good job on making it feel more of a thriller and drama rather then action, but i have to agree for one it is to long. and probably for me. the first 23 seconds seemed like a bunch of different scenes just put together. you kept on changing the story you wanted to showcase. first it was Bucky, then WW2, then the difference in what a hero is, and finally got to captain America.

This is exactly what I was thinking, especially the first part of the trailer. It was just confusing as to what it was trying to say. Also, the middle section was just too long, with too many scene cuts. I would shorten it to only show some highlights, rather than trying to cram too much in. Try to keep pacing in mind. The music doesn't solely do this for you, but there was little change in pace throughout the trailer. Try to pace it so that action is quicker towards the end, with shorter scene clips - this gives a better impression of increasing intensity as you build up to the trailer finale (think of the trailer as simply a short film).

Back