• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch The Boy Who Couldn't Even Afford a Milkshake

I just finished this and handed it in for the final assignment of the first of my practical film papers (I do a film degree, but it's not a film school, so 90% of it is academic with only a few practical papers). I figure I'll get better feedback here than elsewhere. It's meant to be a "portrait" piece.

I'm not hugely happy with it, but the requirements of the assignment kind of constricted it to an interview format (which I'm not a fan of) and only gave us a week and a half to do the whole thing. It was a "solo" piece, so I did sound, camerawork, editing, etc myself. I appreciate all feedback, though I'm mostly interested in the editing and directing(/structure) - since those are the fields I plan to pursue. A quick note on the editing: I don't love the jump cuts, but the piece couldn't be logner than 5 minutes, and my subject rambled and was slow to get to his points.

https://vimeo.com/109281087 PW is "indie" (it has copyrighted music, so I won't make it public)

I just finished this and handed it in for the final assignment of the first of my practical film papers (I do a film degree, but it's not a film school, so 90% of it is academic with only a few practical papers). I figure I'll get better feedback here than elsewhere. It's meant to be a "portrait" piece.

I'm not hugely happy with it, but the requirements of the assignment kind of constricted it to an interview format (which I'm not a fan of) and only gave us a week and a half to do the whole thing. It was a "solo" piece, so I did sound, camerawork, editing, etc myself. I appreciate all feedback, though I'm mostly interested in the editing and directing(/structure) - since those are the fields I plan to pursue. A quick note on the editing: I don't love the jump cuts, but the piece couldn't be logner than 5 minutes, and my subject rambled and was slow to get to his points.

https://vimeo.com/109281087 PW is "indie" (it has copyrighted music, so I won't make it public)

I guess I'm just revealing my lack of knowledge and eye for detail here, but that looked pretty good to me... very professional (if I'd been shown it in another context and told it was a 'bit' from a NZ network TV show, I wouldn't have had any reason to doubt it), and kept my interest throughout. I'm amazed it only took you a week and a half, really :)

Hey thanks Maz, I really appreciate that :)
I guess I (and everyone else) gets caught up in their work and can only see the stuff they dislike. It's nice to hear that it held your attention.

Was a nice enough job for an amateur piece. Just as a normal viewer, I wasn't grabbed by the subject, ended up skipping and not completing. Found it all a bit dull - looked like another student piece, but better than the average one.

Wearing my technical hat - cutaways! Lighting wasn't great either - could've been improved by using a shallower DoF if you don't have lights. It's more pleasing. Sound was decent.

Yeah fair call. Honestly wasn't inspired by the subject matter either, I tried my best to make it a bit more engaging, but yeah.

Agree on lighting. Re: cutaways - generally I agree. But I did intentionally hold on the subject for a bit longer on some takes. He speaks quite monotonously, and the only clues of him being slightly emotional were his body language, hence holding those shots a bit longer.

Thanks for the feedback :)

Perhaps! I don't think it's an unimportant issue (in fact, I am fairly active in student politics) but the restrictions on how we could shoot it made it uninspiring to me - I think there could've been far more interesting ways to tell that story.

Back