• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Time Out - a 48 hour film

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwLOENgZ9hw

This year, my 48 hour team sort of split into two...both teams shared resources and the films are connected, but the two founders of the team wanted to try different approaches. The first team shot as usual, going for speed and efficiency. The second team spent more time on pre-production and rehearsals, striving to make a better film. I'm the second-string composer for the team, so I figured I'd let the main composer pick which project she wanted to score, and I'd do the other.

Except at the last minute she had to leave town for work, leaving one musician for two films.

Fortunately, both teams drew the same genre (Thriller/Suspense) making it easy for me to create music for each, with a bit of cross-over. I wrote a couple "wildcard" pieces, and I think each team ended up using one cue I wrote for the other. Scoring one 48 is a bear...doing two was just insane! But both teams crossed the line and I didn't have to dig in my library for any emergency fill-ins. Not my best work, but it's a 48, so it probably shouldn't be. But I'm proud of it, and both teams raved about it. I've edited together some highlights of the music here: https://soundcloud.com/joshloughrey/2014-48-hour-film-project-highlights

This film took home Best Actor and Best Director. The other didn't make the Best Of, but I liked it and will post it as soon as they put it online. This one, however, is my favorite 48 I've ever worked on!

...next year, however, just one movie for me, thanks.

That was a nice short, it was great for a 48 hour film. I just completed working on a 48 hour film last weekend as a camera operator and had a blast. It's certainly an experience. I can't imagine pulling double duty.

Just curious, was the one you posted from the team who shot as usual or from the team who spent more time on pre-production and rehearsal?

It is a blast! Crazy work, but tons of fun all around! Make sure you post yours when you can!

This one was the team that did more pre-production (nicknamed Team Tortoise). Like the fable, they finished before Team Hare and even had time to do some re-shoots on Sunday!

Human statue? Interesting choice of character for your 48 Hour. Our character was just an investigator for San Diego's 48 Hour haha.

But that was a really interesting short. I like how you guys incorporated the "occupation" of the character. And congrats on all the awards too.

Very nice! Great shots, good lighting, and yeah the music was on point.

I would've like a little more info on what exactly was causing them to freeze like that.

But amazing work!

thanks guys! definitely one of the strangest characters we've had for a 48! Most of the films sort of revolved around the character because, well, it's hard to put a living statue into your film organically!

We hadn't got beyond the softest of sci-fi, MissingProductions, but the general idea was the girl had developed an image that could hypnotize people, sending via text message (inspired by the book Snow Crash, which featured a computer virus that could be transmitted to a hacker by looking at a picture).

They still haven't posted the other film, but it was about a guy that kept being hit with the same text message (the girl from this film was developing and testing on him) while his wife tried to figure out what was happening to him. At the end of the movie, they're driving to the hospital, the phone rings again, and she looks at it...crashing into the car from this movie!

At the end of the movie, they're driving to the hospital, the phone rings again, and she looks at it...crashing into the car from this movie!

No joke... I just let out a gasp when I read that. I could only imagine the reaction when people saw it in the theater.

The horror challenge was this weekend (because two in one year wasn't enough). Unfortunately, we missed it by 12 minutes...the first two render attempts failed, and the third didn't finish until after the deadline. Required elements were
Character: Justin or Justine Cohen, Podcast/Radio Host
Prop: coin or coins
Line: "That's the last thing you want to do."
Our film was about a podcast crew that debunks the paranormal, but their latest exposé goes horribly wrong.

On my end, I finished everything on time (by about noon on Sunday). Not sure if there's enough good stuff in there to do another highlight edit, but there were some good things. I had the most fun ripping off the x-files theme ("Debunk Theme") and was asked to do a death metal track for the end/credits. Way out of my wheelhouse there, but weird challenges are why I do this! If you are interested, you can hear my work here:
http://soundcloud.com/48hfp-ebtn/sets/revised-mixes

I'll post the film when it's online, but for now, here's a trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8nL8Aj51TY

Last edited:
You shot two shorts in a weekend that are better than most of the shorts I see on IT who have spent 10 times that amount of time in prep.

I'll have to take some lessons from you!

thanks for the kind words, gorilla, but I'm just the music guy so maybe you shouldn't take too many lessons from me ;)

The horror film is now online:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQwwuLGqjN0

...no more 48 hour films for me this year, okay?

Back