Should I get a producer now before my project is funded?

What's your role? If you're setting up all this, you are the producer. If you're looking to bring in another producer, I'd do it it now as they can and should help with the fundraising.

but....what if I can't get a producer because no one wants to come on board without the project being funded first?
Then you will do the producing job. That doesn't mean you
shouldn't worry about finding a producer now. I see no advantage
to you to wait until after you get get project funded via crowdfunding.

Then you will do the producing job. That doesn't mean you
shouldn't worry about finding a producer now. I see no advantage
to you to wait until after you get get project funded via crowdfunding.

I would even go further:
crowdfunding with a producer on board (and some cast and crew) will expand your reach to a potentially bigger crowd. Plus it might help to give backer the feeling you'll be able to pull it off.

You again. It's been a while. Welcome back. How did your first film go? Did you hit your budget target? Was it 5 million?

what if I can't get a producer because no one wants to come on board without the project being funded first?

It won't matter. Pitching well is a skill that most directors need to learn. In my opinion, if you cannot successfully pitch a producer to join your team (who will get paid), you're not going to possess the skills to pitch your film to gain the finances you require.

You again. It's been a while. Welcome back. How did your first film go? Did you hit your budget target? Was it 5 million?

It won't matter. Pitching well is a skill that most directors need to learn. In my opinion, if you cannot successfully pitch a producer to join your team (who will get paid), you're not going to possess the skills to pitch your film to gain the finances you require.

Ha, funny, five million, no actually I think it was eighty million and yeah I hit it alright. In fact right now, I'm sitting with Steven Spielberg and we're discussing what my next film should be. Life's just a dream, thanks for asking.

getting a producer

What I did, was I went to slated and basically messaged every producer who was open to message. Finally found one and then added an Exec producer and she got me a director. Takes patience but no one can do it all themselves unless you want to so a small low budget deal. Mine is going to be a tv show pilot.

You need a believer

So where does one find a kicka$$ producer for a seedling of a project?

Try a film festival. I used to listen to pitches at film festivals, Tribeca All Access, Sundance and one small one Chicago, Urbanworld or ABFF. Sometimes formally at 5 minute pitch rounds or other times at cocktail parties hosted by the festival. I optioned a couple things over the years from them. Other things we worked together in an attachment situation or I introduced the writer to another producer. One project got made into a short that got the director a broadcast job. Another project is in an option and in pre-preproduction right now. Others I lost touch with. The film festival environment is ripe for new relationships. And the directory that the festival prints usually has a process to request a meeting with persons listed. Therefore try entering your screenplay into festivals for their support but also attending events as someone elses plus one OR volunteer to work and you will get access on a set day after your work hours are finished as a perk.

Back