saving shorts and adobe premiere

me and my friends just finished a short that came out to be about 11 minutes. we are editing with adobe premiere and want to upload it online. we dont really know how to save it to get it low in mb's so it doesnt take along time to play. any recomendations on how to save it? how do you all save your shorts? they are a good enough size and still with good quality.
we dont want to pay any money for a new program and im new at this so talk in words ill understand please.

There are a few options available to you.

You could output it directly from Adobe.

Under the file menu, select Export/Movie. Then under the Video section select which 'compressor' to use. divx would probably be a decent choice, as it will compress the video fairly significantly without TOO much loss of quality. It all really depends on the settings you choose in the 'Configure' area.

Another option would be just to save it as an uncompressed AVI, and then run it through another program to do the compression.. generally what I use is 'VirtualDub'.

There is a plethora of information, guides, how-to's etc. available at www.videohelp.com as well as plenty of free software to accomplish pretty much anything you're looking to do.

I hope that helps somewhat, I'd go into a bit more detail, but I'm far to exhausted to do that at the moment, and I'm confident that you can find exactly the info you need in a guide available from that website.

Good luck! And :welcome:

(To save you a bit of time searching through the guides, this link might help... scroll down and look at the available guides, primarily the first two.)

Last edited:
Well.. it doesn't have to be uncompressed, per se, but the lower the compression the better.

If you're working with DV to start with then it will default to exporting as DV when you do FIle/Export/Movie.. otherwise, I'd suggest something like the cinepak codec at 100% quality. Ideally DV is going to be your best bet, if that's what the original footage is I'd stick with it until you compress it for the web. (Or a DVD for that matter..)

Back