Why a lot of movies suck...

Interesting article.

And this: Movieline Article

But I think for me he's in part one of those unreliable witnesses.

Babe 2 is one of my favorite movies. I thought The Wolfman was okay. I've also heard positive things about Cowboys and Aliens.

Hmm...
I would have liked to have seen more hard data and less author/editor's opinion on street supposition and extrapolation.
I don't think the article really covers any new material, only rehashes what those of us this step closer to the industry and apart from the general audience public already know.

At best, it confirms that studio exec A) imply they have little control between green light and final product, and B) can't predict what'll be a hit or miss themselves.

Anyone have a current film industry data source on target market demographics, breakpoints and expenditures?
Also, a division of personal spending on entertainment (between theater, cable/satellite, VOD, real world)?
IOW, how much are teens between the ages of what and where spending on theater tickets as opposed to relying on cable TV?
TIA

It's always been obvious that this is the case. After all, he is a businessman. It looks like the best way to make money is in small installments with as little investment as possible- why make amazing films when it will jeopardise the system?

It's a bit pathetic to make an announcement like that though, he should either stand by what he does or leave.

Some of the best films have been made with virtually no budget in comparison to even the recent flops from universal, but Hollywood very rarely has the creativity to add to these.

They don't call it show business for nothing. The studios exist to make a profit. If they didn't they wouldn't be able to keep their doors open or would be turning out even more crap. Also you have take into consideration that people go to see mediocre movies and not every movie that has the potential to be an amazing film turns out as such.

Some of the best films have been made with virtually no budget in comparison to even the recent flops from universal, but Hollywood very rarely has the creativity to add to these.

The flip side of that is that some of the worst films have been made with virtually no budget as well. Actually, now that I think about it, I'd guess that most of the worst films have been made with virtually no budget. The difference is we just don't hear about those because they don't have the resources to advertise like hollywood does. The reality though is that a lot of films are being made each year (more now than ever before), and only a small percentage of those are ever going to be really good films.

Back