Theatre chains will not show "Crouching Tiger" sequel.

Very interesting. But no surprise. I guess they're not suicidal. I have to think that the practice of releasing movies to video-on-demand simultaneously with theater release likely poses an existential threat, as they say, to theater companies. If I were they, I wouldn't want to go along with it either. Surely, it could only sap ticket sales. Maybe the film isn't good enough for anything but direct-to-video?

Last edited:
Maybe the film isn't good enough for anything but direct-to-video?
...or online distribution is a more suitable platform for them. Two huge TV shows are distributed primarily online in House of Cards (well, at least the first season was, unsure about the others) and Avatar: The Legend of Korra. I'm sure there are others. It's not that they're not good enough - they're two incredibly popular shows. It's just an effective way of fighting pirating and is more profitable (I presume - I haven't looked into stats). So perhaps cinema is going this way too?

Carmike Cinemas, the nation’s fourth-largest chain, which has 15 IMAX theaters, said: “We are committed to an exclusive theatrical release for the enjoyment of our valued guests"

The bullshit is strong with this one.
For the enjoy of our guests, we will not be allowing them to watch this movie. Lol.

Back