Is it common for film festivals to accept movies that use in camera audio?

The film festival in my city... I noticed some of the movies had in camera audio on them. I was surprised they made it in because of that. Not that I would ever do that, but I am wondering, is it common now for that to happen at other festivals as well?

... but I am wondering, is it common now for that to happen at other festivals as well?

Here we go again! Looks like you're trying to develop another one of your universal filmmaking rules. There are hundreds (maybe thousands) of film festivals across the planet, many times more than there used to be, to cater for the explosion in the number of people who have access to video equipment and want to make "films". Pretty much all of the lowest tier festivals are aimed at no budget newbie (or relative newbie) video makers, where pretty much anything (including in-camera audio) could be acceptable. By the time one gets to the highest tier festivals though, we're effectively looking at professionally made films commensurate with low budget commercial standards.

In other words, there are no "universal rules" for film festivals, the variation is huge and they cover the gamut of filmmaking abilities/standards.

G

You mean they used the in camera microphone?

Because there is a subtle difference between that and hooking up the boom to the camera (like in documentaries or in Dogma-style movies).

What APE says: stop bothering yourself and us with ponderings about finding a rule for everything.
There are best practises and there are always exceptions in everything.

Back