Need advice on locations, city filming, permission.

I've been making short silly films with my friends for several years now since i graduated high school and i've finnally decided to make a real movie. I've written many scripts that have been writted, scraped, re-written, filmed parts of and never finished, never really taken them anywhere. I've decided that it's time to film a real movie that i can seriously show to people and that may take me somewhere if it's good enough. A dream, but i'd rather try and fail than never try. I bought a Canon HV30, will be picking up a 35mm adapter and proper sound equipment for the technical side of the project. But the problem with our scripts is that we have always written around what is available and what we can do. If we need a location we find a dry creek bed to film in which doesn't always work.

So what i need help with is how to get permission to film at locations around the city. I live in a fairly small city, Chico CA. We don't have much of a film program and no film commission to speak of that i have found. Most of my previous attempts at film making have either been done in deserted fields, or by tresspassing somewhere i shouldn't have been like an abanonded warehouse, farm, unfinished housing developments, etc. Anywhere that i could find that people weren't around. Of course none of the filming requires damaging anything, we just need to use it as a backdrop, and the willingness to film at these places for free is required for the most part.

Our town is also at a standstill in development and we have little to speak of in heavy industry as we are mostly a college town and farm community. There are no deserted neighborhoods or warehouses much anymore that havn't been burnt down or are home to people that i don't want to be around for fear of my life. We are about 2 hours away from Sacramento so if they provide any sort of film assistance this is possible to use as a film location.

Can anyone provide some insight as to how i should proceed on getting help from the city for filming an indepdent film? Do the police provide free services for blocking off streets, would the local military base be willing to provide limited supervised access at all since we could promote them some how? What can i use to my advantage, what kind of places should i look for? And what should i absolutely not do? Thanks.

Are you gonna have a large crew of people? Could you swoop in and shoot without a permit? If you got shut down by a cop or an off duty cop would it cost you a lot in salaries paid to crew, equipment rental? If you want to shoot I'd just pay a visit to your local police department and ask what they require. It's probably free or a small fee ($25 to $100) to shoot plus paying a police officer and maybe a police motorcycle rental fee.

In unincorporated LA county it's about $700 per day to shoot + paying a police officer for a minimum of 4 hours. That's why a lot of filmmakers flee LA to shoot in places like Lancaster, but then you have to pay for travel costs, hotel stays, etc. Be glad you're up there and not down here.

As far as shooting on private property I'd just contact the owner of the property if you can't just sneak on and shoot. If they were to see that you used their location in a movie they can only sue you for what they should have been paid for rental of the property - not for copyright infringement. In LA you need a permit to shoot even on private property. The only exception is if it's a "sound stage". Just another reason why people are fleeing LA to shoot movies.

Welcome to indietalk, Airwolf.

According to the City of Chino website you do need a permit to film in the city.
The application must be submitted to Business Licensing at 13220
Central Ave. As usual with most cities they require insurance as well
as written property owner's permission for any location being utilized.

I doubt the police will provide officers to block off streets for free, but
their fees were not on the website. But it does say that street closure
permits are approved through the Public Works Department.

You should contact the local military base for your questions about what
they will allow you to do.

Thanks for the info, rik i am actually in Chico not Chino, north of sacramento. I will see about contacting the local national guard base and the police station and see what i can find. Any more information is welcome, thank you!

Sorry about that.

According to the Chico website film permits are handled by Alice Patterson.
Chico Chamber of Commerce, 300 Salem Street

Back