Unpaid Underage actors

What are the laws with this? I've tried to do searches to no avail.

Most of our actors are over the age of 18. One underrage child actor has a permit to work. Even though this is an unpaid gig, it's a decent size production. We do have one 17 year old that we would like to cast but we aren't sure if we are legally able to. What are some of the terms used that I can google to see if my state allows such things.

We definitely aren't trying to break any laws. All our production locations are permitted, we have insurance, we have pretty much everything covered except for this one 17 year old.

Since it's an unpaid gig is it even technically working? Or a job? etc. Are we allowed to let them miss school?

My son is a 14 y.o. professional actor here in California so here's my take. I don't think you will have any problems casting the 17 y.o. as long as the scope of the project is limited. To be sure there are a lot of child labor laws but they are usually only enforced by the set teacher which you won't have. Whether or not the 17 y.o. can skip school is between him or her and the school. A day or two isn't a big deal. As long as the parents are 100% percent supportive, you shouldn't have any problems.

Okay great. The parents are 100% supportive. But I know how parents are when they want a child to pursue film. I feel like I have to look out for the best interest of the child and the production--oddly enough parents usually look out more for the production. I cant take advantage of people.

by the way, it is still a job and being "hired" if it's unpaid?

Yes. You will expect the person (of legal age or not) to show up when
needed and provide the services that are agreed upon. Even if you aren't
paying them. Legally they are not "hired" for a job. If they are you must
pay them according to you local laws. So you're splitting hairs. We ALL
do it when we make a movie and pay no one.

Clearly you want to do the right thing. So just make sure everything is
stated clearly - with everyone.

Yes. You will expect the person (of legal age or not) to show up when
needed and provide the services that are agreed upon. Even if you aren't
paying them. Legally they are not "hired" for a job. If they are you must
pay them according to you local laws. So you're splitting hairs. We ALL
do it when we make a movie and pay no one.

Clearly you want to do the right thing. So just make sure everything is
stated clearly - with everyone.

So far getting closer to production the costs have dropped considerably so at this point we are able to pay everyone at least minimum wage ($9.75). But that didn't skirt the issue of being underage--and traveling out of state for the part.

But i'm quite confused as to how this all can work. Jax_rox did mention getting a production manager, so I'm looking into it now. For instance. If the production company is incorporated in say California, but filming is taking place in Georgia, and actors are coming from all over the nation, how do you possibly pay them and their state tax properly? Would the production company need to be registered in all the filming locations?

Back