Releasing footage to actor for demo reel

I just need some advice regarding accreditation.

I have a good working relationship withe the talent, but she needs a scene for her demo, which I totally understand. I just feel I should be credited for the film. I thought a watermark at the bottom of the frame? Or should I just give the footage with the agreement that she will add the credit in her own way?

I've seen demo's without any reference at all to the film/filmmakers......am I just being anal? Just concerned once I hand it over then it becomes public and the film trailer isn't even public yet.

Thanks

Her demo is about her not you, no one is going to seek you out over it, I would let her do what she wants, definitely no watermark, if anything, something in ending credits, nothing that interferes with the demo itself.

Yeah I agree with that, I guess I just want to cover my bases from a copyright stand point, but I don't want to be a prick either. I totally get her position and am more than happy to oblige.

Giving your talent access to film clips is a real win-win situation. We have done a dozen feature films and in all cases have not only given the actors permission to use clips in their, reels, but we have also published film clips of their scenes on you tube for them. We put the title of the film on the end, and include it in the information box also. Everyone who "searches" for our talent also sees the title of our film, which results in additional SALES from their friends and relatives.

My concern isn't whether to provide the footage. As a former actor I totally get the need for footage for the reel. I just wanted to get some feedback on how I should mark/credit the footage from a copyright protection point of view.

I'm not really concerned with exposure to myself just the ownership of the film and all it contains. I have a great relationship with the talent so, I don't know, maybe i'm being anal and I should just give her the selected footage unmarked.

I give footage, unmarked, to all my actors. The editors use the footage
unmarked. The DP's use the footage unmarked. The composers use the
footage for their reel unmarked. I have never had a copyright challenge
from talent reels.

What is it that concerns you regarding ownership of the footage?

yes after doing some deeper viewing on vimeo I am noticing that the there are many reels without any accreditation and when there are credits it's put there by the person who makes the demo reel for the actor.

I guess I just was a lil paranoid about controlling the manner in which images from my film are released, but it seems pretty standard to leave it unmarked. I'll just give it to her as is.

Back