• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

"Grid texture" over photo and video

There is a long time I have seen different kinds of textures on some professional images and videos - mainly introduction screens. Yea, sadly I don't have many examples now that I'm trying to do it. But it's a kind of "grid" over the image. That's the only word I can think to call it.

This is a web game using this texture all the time: http://momentgame.mtv.uol.com.br

Can you see? There are little "points" turning the look of the image into something very elegant for some situations (at least in my opinion).

Well, I'm trying to apply it using After Effects, adding lines in an adjustment layer, first with Venetian Blinds effect and after with a simple grid. The problem is: besides it don't look so good, when the screen is resized the lines/points get distorted, absolutely ugly. And when we send a video for Youtube, we do expect it will be resized. :(

Screen 1, using Venetian:

Venetian_blinds_1.png

Screen 2, using a grid to create horizontal lines:

Grid_1.png

So first: what is this effect's name?
And second: how to properly create it?
And after create, how to avoid the ugly distortion with resize?

Thank you very much.

Sorry for write in my own topic when it didn't receive a single answer, but I found another example.

Looking this wedding AE project, I noted that the guy are using this kind of textures over the pictures. And when you zoom the screen, it doesn't get distorted!

http://videohive.net/item/wedding-album/1837869

I'm getting crazy trying to understand it. And no matter how much I try to google this subject, can't find anything. I can't even discover the name of this effect.

Scan lines is one term, and if you want them to be visible through different sizes you need to make them big.

I've always used photoshop. Define a pattern, fill an alpha channel with that pattern, select the area of the channel, fill a layer and there you go. A lot easier and less render intensive.

Hmm, not exactly this. But nice anyway. ;)

Scan lines is one term, and if you want them to be visible through different sizes you need to make them big.

I've always used photoshop. Define a pattern, fill an alpha channel with that pattern, select the area of the channel, fill a layer and there you go. A lot easier and less render intensive.

Thanks, "scan lines" took me to useful information. You know, I'm thinking the way guys use to avoid distortion, is make it diagonal, not horizontal or vertical.

Back