• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

16mm editing question

Hey everyone,

I have a quick and painful question regarding a film I just shot in 16mm (my first foray away from video). Most of the scenes turned out pretty good, but I have one interior scene that is in trouble. It was shot (obviously) too close to a window with too much direct sunlight coming in and I did not use a CTO filter over the window. It was shot on 500T film. There is a flare of blue coming off the actress's jacket. The bloom is quite severe, so I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to if and how I could fix this in editing. I am editing in final cut. Any suggestions would be very welcome.

Thanks.

Kyle

Mask the bad part(s) and crank it down as much as you can. Feather the edge of the mask (you may wanna do this in AE, depending on action) then you can bring down just the offensive parts, not making the other parts darker. Fly by your scopes... legal is all ya have to do if it's becoming obvious you are masking.

Thanks guys. I think I've got a decent work around by using an eight point garbage matte around the flare, color correcting in that area. Not perfect, but it should be okay.

Back