Home

Go Back   IndieTalk - Indie Film Forum > Making The Film > Screenwriting

Old 10-08-2018, 12:47 AM   #1
TMontague
Basic Member

PhD English Prof with story

I am a university English professor and closet fiction writer. Colleagues have shared that my fiction reads like "a beautiful film." Character and theme are important to me. I have a short story that I would love to see into film. It could be filmed quite anywhere on a very small budget. The theme is universal and would resonate with an audience, especially today. I am open to graduate students and new filmmakers who are in search of a quality story. This could be the one for both of us. I look forward to hearing from you!

Last edited by TMontague; 10-09-2018 at 02:26 AM.
TMontague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today   #1A
film guy
Basic Member

Old 10-08-2018, 10:55 AM   #2
eraserhead_in_time
Basic Member

Hello,
I would be interested in reading more about the story.

I'm a filmmaker, whose last two shorts "Supramental" was screened at 4 Film Festivals across the globe.
And "Equal", has been selected for Impact50 initiative that screens in LA, end of this year.
Looking for the next short film to produce, with intentions to graduate to feature very soon.
eraserhead_in_time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 10:56 AM   #3
sfoster
IndieTalk Moderator

Welcome to the forum Montague, it's great to have someone with your knowledge and qualifications.

Can you tell us more about this short story - What genre is it, how many pages long is the script?
sfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 11:00 AM   #4
indietalk
IndieTalk Founder

indietalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 05:24 PM   #5
TMontague
Basic Member

Thank you for your reply. It is a short story - about two pages in length; it is not in script form. This would allow the director, the two actors, and cinematographer great range and opportunity. The genre is drama... it is a memory piece. There is very little dialogue as it is internal and would rely on visual imagery to convey its theme/message.
Old 10-09-2018, 08:59 AM   #6
stevencwood
Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMontague View Post
Thank you for your reply. It is a short story - about two pages in length; it is not in script form. This would allow the director, the two actors, and cinematographer great range and opportunity. The genre is drama... it is a memory piece. There is very little dialogue as it is internal and would rely on visual imagery to convey its theme/message.
Regardless of length and amount of dialogue, you need to format this thing into a proper screenplay format. If you hand a filmmaker a couple pages with of blocked text, with no obvious action lines or dialogue tags, you'll have a hard time taken seriously.

No excuse to NOT do this since it's only two pages.
stevencwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 02:21 PM   #7
TMontague
Basic Member

I understand. Thank you for sharing. But I'm not a screenwriter. That's why I'm here. I think a some filmmakers would be very interested in a good story and I am hoping to collaborate as we work toward dialogue, shots, location, etc.
Old 10-09-2018, 02:25 PM   #8
sfoster
IndieTalk Moderator

Wow so you dont even want writers credit?
From what you've said all you're going to end up with is "based on a story by"
sfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 02:38 PM   #9
stevencwood
Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMontague View Post
I understand. Thank you for sharing. But I'm not a screenwriter. That's why I'm here. I think a some filmmakers would be very interested in a good story and I am hoping to collaborate as we work toward dialogue, shots, location, etc.
I'm very curious what you have in two pages that would be enough for a complete film.
stevencwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 09:08 PM   #10
indietalk
IndieTalk Founder

Two pages, not in screenplay format, could be any damn length! Have you ever read a treatment?

This guy is not a screenwriter, and he is offering his story. Whomever is interested should take a look. It's like, he is offering his land to build a house, but everyone tells him, he needs to be a carpenter first.
indietalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 09:24 PM   #11
Lucky Hardwood
Basic - Premiere Expired

I would love to read your story. I have no real film to my credit, but I can adapt a story to screenplay format.
Lucky Hardwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 10:43 AM   #12
joey1320
Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by indietalk View Post
Two pages, not in screenplay format, could be any damn length! Have you ever read a treatment?

This guy is not a screenwriter, and he is offering his story. Whomever is interested should take a look. It's like, he is offering his land to build a house, but everyone tells him, he needs to be a carpenter first.

Great analogy.
joey1320 is offline   Reply With Quote