Home

Go Back   IndieTalk - Indie Film Forum > Showcase > Screening Room > Other

Old 10-07-2018, 03:33 PM   #16
The Tune Peddler
Premiere Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Hardwood View Post
Thank you! Have you watched up through 13? I could really use some advice on the dialog. I think I sound terrible.

Episode 11
Hmm. it sounds really muffled or something. It was sounding pretty good in ep11. What did you do differently?
The Tune Peddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today   #1A
film guy
Basic Member

Old 10-07-2018, 05:06 PM   #17
Lucky Hardwood
Basic - Premiere Expired

I used the default noise reduction setting instead of hum and hiss and I dialed in 1 point of negative pitch. I also wonder if part of my issue is putting my lav inside my shirt, right over my clavicle.
Lucky Hardwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 09:15 AM   #18
The Tune Peddler
Premiere Member

Quote:
I used the default noise reduction setting instead of hum and hiss and I dialed in 1 point of negative pitch. I also wonder if part of my issue is putting my lav inside my shirt, right over my clavicle.
As far as the noise reduction, I would use as little of it as possible. A quick rule of thumb on a lot of that kind of stuff is to set it where you think it should be and then back off a tad. A little goes a long ways.

Your audio didn't sound that muffled in the videos before ep13. Were you putting the lav in the same place on the other videos too? If so, I would think it's more an issue of the noise reduction plugin. But, if you were micing a different way, I might go back to that and then reduce the noise a little there, since it was sounding pretty good, juts a little noisy.
Old 10-08-2018, 09:44 AM   #19
Lucky Hardwood
Basic - Premiere Expired

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tune Peddler View Post
As far as the noise reduction, I would use as little of it as possible. A quick rule of thumb on a lot of that kind of stuff is to set it where you think it should be and then back off a tad. A little goes a long ways.

Your audio didn't sound that muffled in the videos before ep13. Were you putting the lav in the same place on the other videos too? If so, I would think it's more an issue of the noise reduction plugin. But, if you were micing a different way, I might go back to that and then reduce the noise a little there, since it was sounding pretty good, juts a little noisy.
I attach the mic to the inside of the collar of my shirt with a small safety pin (around the wire) and do not have the foam cover on it because, when I did, the audio sounded scratchy to me. The only difference between 12 and 13 was the settings on the noise reduction, so I will use the same ones as before. Did you notice a difference in the color and tone match of the different angles? In 11 or 12 I started using the grading part of resolve. I hadn't before because I was trying to change the fewest things at a time possible.

A fair number of my viewers have told me that they watch my videos on a cellphone. I edit on a 40" 4K monitor. I can reduce the size of the view (inspection) window in the editor. Do you think it is worth the time to re-screen each cut of the videos on a 5 inch display? I understand that what looks great on the big screen does not always translate to the small screen, but I'm putting out 3 videos a week with everything else I have going on in life. Time is a commodity I can't stretch.

As always, thank you so much for taking the time out of your busy schedule to help me improve my work. I appreciate it more than you will ever know.
Old 10-08-2018, 09:45 AM   #20
Lucky Hardwood
Basic - Premiere Expired

Episode 12
Old 10-09-2018, 09:18 PM   #21
Lucky Hardwood
Basic - Premiere Expired

Episode 13
Old 10-10-2018, 09:04 AM   #22
The Tune Peddler
Premiere Member

Quote:
I attach the mic to the inside of the collar of my shirt with a small safety pin (around the wire) and do not have the foam cover on it because, when I did, the audio sounded scratchy to me. The only difference between 12 and 13 was the settings on the noise reduction, so I will use the same ones as before. Did you notice a difference in the color and tone match of the different angles? In 11 or 12 I started using the grading part of resolve. I hadn't before because I was trying to change the fewest things at a time possible.

A fair number of my viewers have told me that they watch my videos on a cellphone. I edit on a 40" 4K monitor. I can reduce the size of the view (inspection) window in the editor. Do you think it is worth the time to re-screen each cut of the videos on a 5 inch display? I understand that what looks great on the big screen does not always translate to the small screen, but I'm putting out 3 videos a week with everything else I have going on in life. Time is a commodity I can't stretch.

As always, thank you so much for taking the time out of your busy schedule to help me improve my work. I appreciate it more than you will ever know.
Yeah, I thought the audio sound pretty good in ep12. So, I would probably just keep using the setting for that. And I thought the shots all looked very consistent, color-wise.
Old 10-10-2018, 04:58 PM   #23
Lucky Hardwood
Basic - Premiere Expired

In Episode 16, you will see that I added a third camera and I can't get it to balance with the other two. Two Canons (5Ds and EOS-M) and a Sony Handicam. Of course this is because I am a total newb and don't really know what I'm doing.
Old 10-10-2018, 05:00 PM   #24
Lucky Hardwood
Basic - Premiere Expired

Episode 14
Old 10-11-2018, 09:54 AM   #25
Lucky Hardwood
Basic - Premiere Expired

Episode 15