• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

Indie Trailer

Do you like this trailer

• Yes, it looks amazing

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • It's pretty good

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It's alright

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • No, it looks bad

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm just wanting some constructive criticism! I know that my film won't appeal to everyone out there, but I want to see if I captured my audience well with this trailer. Let me know what you like and don't like :)

First. Congrats on making a feature film. Well done. It's an accomplishment to complete such a mammoth task. It makes people appreciate how much work goes into making a top notch film.

To be up front, these coming of age stories don't appeal to me.

There are obvious technical technical issues. Sound hurts you immensely. Was ADR done and botched? The color grading lets you down too.

I like to see characters I can relate to overcoming obstacles. The trailer doesn't give me the impression I'll see these elements.

It's too long. I won't watch "trailers" that are as long as some short films. One minute or less is the key here unless you're Warner Bros.

Good luck.

Thanks for the feedback.
I originally wanted this to be only 1 minute myself, however the story is very complex and the professionals I have consulted with were telling me that I needed to show more to really get the feeling of the story across.

Some ADR was done for this trailer, but most of it was the original audio from the shoot which we recorded on the zoom h4n audio recorder, so we didn't exactly have state of the art sound for the shoot, but we had to shoot this on a budget of only $10,000 so there were some sacrifices made! We will likely do ADR for a large portion of the film, because the sound is not that great although I might be able to filter out a lot of unwanted noise with adobe audition, which I have heard good things about!

As far as the color grading goes, that is one part of this I have no idea about? It was color corrected by a professional ediitor, but I know nothing about it and how to do it? I do see differences but I have no idea why one look is better than another. I do know that the editor said it was very tough because we shot a lot with 2 cameras that had very different looks to them.

Let me know if there is anything else you guys can add to your comments. I hope that there are some things you liked about it :)

It was color corrected by a professional ediitor

Take my word on this. It wasn't corrected. At least not well. That's part of the issue. If it was corrected, the shots would match. On top of that, it also wasn't graded.

how to do it?

It sounds like a simple question. It really isn't. It's one of those technical and creative tasks that takes considerable time to learn. To do your film justice, find a colorist.

...and a sound mixer. But I'm sure APE will pipe in soon enough.

That's good to know. Again, it was color corrected but I think that the editor didn't specialize in color correction. He just knew more about it than anyone else on my team! I will see if I can find a colorist that can help and work with a sound engineer to help with the sound!

Thanks for the feedback.
I originally wanted this to be only 1 minute myself,

You should go with your gut feeling more often. Don't let "professionals" steer you astray. The purpose of a trailer is to get people to (open their pocketbook and) watch your film -- not sum up the story. Wow them for an entire minute and you've done your job!

Good luck.

Last edited:
Back